- Catalytic Converter Cleaner Reviews
- Overall Best Catalytic Converter Cleaner – Mr. Gasket Cataclean
- DURA LUBE Severe Catalytic and Exhaust Cleaner
- CRC 05063 Guaranteed To Pass Emissions Test Catalytic Converter Cleaner
- Oxicat Oxygen Sensor & Catalytic Converter Cleaner
- Hi-Gear HG3270e EZ Emissions Pass & Catalytic Converter Cleaner
- Catalytic Converter Cleaner Solder-It CAT-1
- Why Use Catalytic Converter Cleaners?
- What’s the Lifespan of Catalytic Converters?
- Catalyst Cleaner FAQs
Disclosure: we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post via affiliate links to products. This doesn't make any additional cost to you.
Having served for some period, carbon buildup blocks the catalytic converter, leading to non-efficient filtering of exhaust gases. You can find out about this malfunction by getting the “Service Engine” light from the car.
Basically, there is nothing difficult in cleaning the catalytic converter with the special cleaner. In this article, we’d like to share some tips on how to clean the converters plus represent the best catalytic converter cleaners.
Catalytic Converter Cleaner Reviews
The fuel system in internal combustion motors works in a way where air and fuel mix up emitting exhaust gases. These gases are extremely toxic and could be harmful pollutants if they got to the atmosphere. Exactly to prevent that, catalytic converters were created.
They decrease the level of gas toxicity before they leave the tailpipe. It happens because of the specific chemical reaction, ensuring the process when the converter metals contact with gases.
Overall Best Catalytic Converter Cleaner – Mr. Gasket Cataclean
- Using Cataclean can lower your total hydrocarbon emissions by up to 50 percent
- Reduces carbon build-up in catalytic converter, oxygen sensors, fuel injectors and cylinder heads which results in improved fuel efficiency
- Improves overall vehicle performance-including driveability issues such as power reduction, hesitation, rough idle, hard starts and lost fuel economy
- Safe for gasoline, diesel, hybrid and flex-fuel vehicles; does not alter fuel
- Not for use in 2-stroke or oil / gas mix engines
Cataclean is often associated with premium products of high quality. To show that their product is able to decrease hydrocarbon emissions by up to 50%, the brand tested it at independent laboratories. Thus, by applying this cleaner, you have really high chances to pass the emissions test successfully.
This catalytic converter cleaner is compatible with many kinds of motors. So, the owners of diesel and hybrid cars can surely acquire it. Moreover, the choice of products for such motors is rather scarce, especially if you seek really efficient ones.
In addition to cleaning, the Cataclean item deals with preventing thick carbon layering in the future. And that’s its main benefit, which seems to be a great long-term investment. The item doesn’t only solve the problem but protects from it as well. Of course, carbon deposits will appear, but the brand assures that their amount will be reduced. However, note that it’s not suitable for 2-stroke motors.
This catalytic converter cleaner comes in a 16-oz bottle. You are free to save money by buying a pack of 2 or 5 bottles.
- Made in the USA;
- 50 state legal and complies with VOC (including California) and OTC regulations;
- 1 bottle per fuel tank 4 times a year (every 3 months or 5,000 miles).
DURA LUBE Severe Catalytic and Exhaust Cleaner
- Use when warning light is activated
- Use before or prior to replacing catalytic converter
- Protects catalytic system from oil poisons
- Reduces phosphorus and zinc retention levels at catalyst inlet
- Lowers tail pipe emissions
The exhaust system cleaner is highly concentrated and is ideal for cleaning the catalyst converter. It is long-lasting and 100% safe for all vehicles.
You need to pour one bottle into 60 liters (16 gallons) of fuel or 30 mL per 3.8 liters (1-Ounce per Gallon). Last up to 3 months or 5,000 miles – whichever comes first.
CRC 05063 Guaranteed To Pass Emissions Test Catalytic Converter Cleaner
- Reduces emissions and improves performance in one tank full
- Powerful detergent additives super-clean the entire fuel system
- Use every 3,000 miles to improve fuel economy, acceleration and reduce emissions
- Maximum allowable cleaning chemistry for superior results.
- Works with all gasoline and ethanol blended fuels.
In its advertising campaign, CRC states that its catalytic converter cleaner will surely help you to pass the emissions test. If not, they promise to give your money back and double the sum spent on their product. And such a claim by a respectable company makes this item extremely attractive for many car owners.
This catalytic converter cleaner goes in a 12-oz plastic bottle, which is recommended for 16 gallons of fuel. It works great with all types of ethanol and gasoline blended fuels. Featuring a very concentrated formula, this item performs its duties fast and efficiently.
The brand advises using their cleaner after every 3,000 miles run if you aspire to maintain a low level of emissions and fuel economy. The price is relatively affordable. Moreover, you can acquire the 12-pack version of the product and save some money.
The item will not harm the oxygen sensor. Despite that, it is applicable for gas engines only and the brand says nothing about its adherence to emission laws.
- One bottle per full fuel tank (or 2 bottles tanks over 16 gallons).
- Drive the vehicle normally until the tank is nearly empty (1/8 tank) to ensure the gas mixed with the product has been used.
- Refill your tank to FULL right before testing.
Oxicat Oxygen Sensor & Catalytic Converter Cleaner
- Safe and effective for all petrol (gasoline)and diesel vehicles
- Engineered to clean the entire exhaust system WITH REGULAR USE.
- OXICAT is activated when the catalytic converter reaches its required working temperature.
- Proven safe and effective by the Pros, now available in North America. TUV certified, made in Germany
Maybe, you remember the emission scandal with Volkswagen, which occurred in 2015 in Europe. The case dealt with the brand’s fraud concerning emissions testing for VW plus Audi automobiles. Their fraud caused a real scandal in European society and led to more severe regulations as to air quality and emissions.
This Oxicat product was created in Germany and was initially meant for European drivers, who need to make their vehicles fit the new emissions rules. It’s a really efficient catalytic converter cleaner.
The creators of this item aspired to create a product able to clean not only the catalytic converter but other details of the exhaust system as well, including oxygen sensors. It sounds good as, sometimes, malfunction of this sensor may lead to false information. Consequently, you may spend time and money on repairing a functional catalytic converter.
Besides, one more advantage is that it can be applied to various engine types, including diesel and hybrid ones. Undoubtedly, Oxicat offers products of top quality, which really work. Of course, the price isn’t the cheapest one for a small 10-ounce bottle, but almost everyone stays satisfied with this catalytic converter cleaner. No multipack options are possible.
Hi-Gear HG3270e EZ Emissions Pass & Catalytic Converter Cleaner
- Cleans fuel system, injectors, combustion chamber, pistons and valves
- Restores lost horsepower and increases fuel efficiency
- Prevents rotten egg smell
- Reduces toxic gases and CO2 emissions
- Removes carbon deposits
This product, sold in a metal tin, works exactly as the brand advertises on the package. It’s able to cope with horsepower reduction, improving the vehicle’s performance plus reducing noxious gas emissions.
The main disadvantage is that this Hi-Gear item is applicable for gas engines only and no cross-compatibility is possible. The efficiency of this catalytic converter cleaner is ensured by a specified formula, created as a joint venture of the brand and a range of auto manufacturers. Actually, it’s not an OEM product. However, its efficiency proves to be on a good level.
Multipack options aren’t available for this item. Thus, you need to buy one tin, pour it into the tank and allow it to perform its functions. No more actions from you are required. As this item performs its duties properly and is easy to use, it definitely costs the money spent on it.
Catalytic Converter Cleaner Solder-It CAT-1
- Helps eliminate "rotten egg" odor
- May help in passing emissions control test!
- Helps clean oxygen sensor
- Extends time between tune-ups
This Solder product is another efficient but still rather pricy catalytic converter cleaner. It’s able to clean the vehicle’s fuel and exhaust systems.
It’s a great solution for gas motors, able to purify a catalytic converter no matter what type it’s off. It will cope even with monolithic and pelleted variations. Additionally, it can be utilized for oxygen sensor cleanup.
Serving as a deodorizer, CAT-1 will help you to get rid of the bad odour from the exhaust system, often compared to the smell of a rotten egg. Bear in mind that you must be careful using it as this cleaner can be harmful to people.
The manufacturer claims that this product will make the car emissions fit all the regulations and pass through the emission control test. However, the producers of cheaper analogs provide the same guarantees.
Why Use Catalytic Converter Cleaners?
You may wonder what you need catalytic converter cleaners for. Here are four main reasons to invest in such a product.
- To get rid of odors. Some vehicles may release a very unpleasant odor, resembling the one of a rotten egg. That smell is a result of contamination of the exhaust system. And it’s accompanied by non-efficient filtering of the unburnt fuel from the exhaust stream. By cleaning the converter, you will fight that awful odor as converter cleaners perform the deodorizing functions as well.
- To increase performance. A blocked catalytic converter often leads to reduced engine performance. The power reduction is extremely noticeable while driving on an incline or starting the automobile from a dead stop. This is a consequence of a blocked cat converter, which restricts the exhaust gas flow plus makes ventilation less efficient. As a result, the motor output suffers because of backing up with unvented gases. The common mistake is to replace a catalytic converter. However, don’t hurry to do that. In the majority of cases, the problem can be solved by simply cleaning the converter.
- To save money. We all know that replacing engine details is rather a costly issue, especially when we talk about catalytic converters. In addition to acquiring it, you will also need to pay a mechanic for placing it. Actually, there is no need to acquire new details if you have a chance to clean the ones, preventing your car from properly functioning. By cleaning the catalytic converter, you will improve your vehicle’s performance and will achieve the best fuel economy. Moreover, you will save money by regular maintenance rather than buying new details. Thus, by cleaning your cat converter regularly, you will avoid its unnecessary replacement.
- To achieve a low emissions level. As catalytic converters are designed for filtering exhaust gases and improving the air quality, by keeping your catalytic converter in order, you will take care of the atmosphere and people around you. We all know that air is rather polluted, especially in urban areas. By reducing the level of emissions your vehicle produces, you will save the planet as well as take care of your and other people’s health. It’s a fact that today, the quality of air in the United States is 70% better than it was fifty years ago. As a result, there are fewer people, ill with asthma and a number of other diseases, provoked by concentrated exhaust gases. Bear in mind that a clean catalytic converter functions more efficiently.
What’s the Lifespan of Catalytic Converters?
Usually, a catalytic converter serves pretty long. It will surely allow you to drive for 100,000 miles and more without facing problems with it. A converter may serve long as its malfunctions are rather uncommon. However, if you had to replace the initial one, be sure that several years of trouble-free driving are guaranteed.
Moreover, it’s possible to avoid cat converter replacement at all if proper service is provided for the fuel system. By cleaning the converter regularly, you will increase its functionality and increase the lifespan.
In case you have decided to clean the catalytic converter and are seeking for the best product, this review will be a great assistant to you. By choosing the proper product, you will achieve a desirable result easily and fast.
You will improve the engine performance and, simultaneously, lower the level of emissions it produces. Additionally, some cleaners may help to improve fuel efficiency.
Catalyst Cleaner FAQs
Where to buy catalytic converter cleaner?
You can buy catalytic converter cleaner by using links on our site or just go to the nearest auto shop.
Catalytic converter cleaner does it work?
Yes. This is proven by many reviews from car enthusiasts. The main thing is to choose a cleaner that is right for your occasion.
What is the best catalytic converter cleaner?
Mr. Gasket Cataclean is the best catalytic converter cleaner.
How to use catalytic converter cleaner?
Step 1: Pour the entire contents of the bottle into the gas tank.
Step 2: Drive a car for 15-20 minutes
Step 3: Reset all errors from the monitor and fill up the gasoline to half the tank.
Last update on 2021-05-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API