Disclosure: we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post via affiliate links to products. This doesn't make any additional cost to you.
M43, an inline-four engine with SOHC piston, was first released by BMW in 1991 as a substitute to M40 and was manufactured till 2002. The available engine volume is between 1.6 L and 1.9 L. M43 was employed for base-model vehicles. Simultaneously, DOHC M42, and later M44, was utilized for high-performance automobiles.
M43B19 (or M43TU as it’s often called) is the biggest engine of the M43 series with the offset of 1985 cc. Using BMW BMS 46 fuel injection system, it reaches the power of 118 hp and a torque of 180 Nm.
Unlike a motor, utilized for 316i cars without DISA valve, the one for 318i model features the one.
M43B19 Engine Specs
|Also called||BMW M43TU|
|Cylinder block alloy||Cast iron|
2 valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||83.5 (3.29)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||85 (3.35)|
|Displacement||1895 cc (115.6 cu in)|
|Power output||77 kW (105 HP) at 5,300 rpm
87 kW (118 HP) at 5,500 rpm
|Torque output||165 Nm (122 lb·ft) at 2,500 rpm
180 Nm (133 lb·ft) at 3,900 rpm
|HP per liter||55.4
|Fuel system||Bosch BMS46|
|Weight, kg (lbs)||~138 (305)|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|for E46 318Ci
|Oil consumption , L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 1.0
(1 qt. per 750 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||4.0 (4.2)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||7,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||90-95 (195-203)|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
M43 Engine Modifications
|M43B16||1596 cc||75 kW (101 hp) @ 5500||150 N·m (111 lb·ft) @ 3900||6200||1991|
|M43B18||1796 cc||85 kW (115 hp) @ 5500||168 N·m (124 lb·ft) @ 3900||6200||1993|
|M43B19||1895 cc||87 kW (118 hp) @ 5500||180 N·m (133 lb·ft) @ 3900||6200||1998|
|77 kW (105 hp) @ 5300||165 N·m (122 lb·ft) @ 2500||6200||1999|
- M43TU B19 OL (1998-2002) is a basic model with output of 118 hp at 5,500 rpm and a torque of 180 Nm at 3,900 rpm.
- M43TU B19 UL (1998-2001) is a later modification with another camshaft. Its power is 105 hp at 5,300 rpm and a torque of 165 Nm at 2,500 rpm.
- BMW 316i E36
- BMW 316i E46
- BMW 318Ci E46
- BMW Z3
M43TU engine innovations
- Single engine displacement – 1.9 liters;
- An engine block with the fastening points for the balancer shaft housing;
- Cylinder block with an assembly of the engine speed sensor assembly and the reference signal sensor;
- The crankshaft with the driving gear to the balancer shafts and an incremental wheel speed sensor and the engine speed reference signal transmitter;
- Block of balancer shafts;
- Modified camshaft of the lower power stage of the motor;
- The pistons and connecting rods;
- The oil pan, the oil damper and suction tube oil pipe fitted under the engine with balance shafts;
- Thermal oil level sensor;
BMW M43B19 Engine Problems and Reliability
- Oil leak. The trouble is rather widespread for these motors. As a rule, the cause is in leaking of valve cover. It’s advisable to acquire fresh valve cover gland, sealant and positive crankcase ventilation valve.
- Engine tapping. Usually, it has to do with DISA valve. It’s recommended to acquire DISA valve repair kit and fix intake manifold.
Uncontinuous oil leaking?! That is a huge problem! Fortunately we know how to help. Read this top 10 radiator stop leak products.
The other possible reason is hydraulic lifters tapping.
Besides, M40B19 motor may have malfunctions with acceleration, rough idling and overheating.
Though, all these troubles are secondary in comparison with the major minus of the motor, which is low power. So, the fans of speedy driving will hardly like this engine as the driving may be pretty boring.
In a nutshell, despite its low capacity, BMW M43 is rather a trustworthy and durable engine. However, all M43 motors for sale are rather old now and so, you can face some unpleasant surprises.