A series of small-EA111 turbo engines (1.2 TSI, 1.4 TSI) became widespread in 2005, thanks to the famous Golf 5 and Jetta sedan models. The main and initially the only engine was the 1.4 TSI in its various modifications, which was intended to replace the 2.0-liter atmospheric. At the heart of the power, unit is a cast-iron cylinder block, covered with an aluminum 16 valve head with two camshafts with hydraulic lifters, a phase shifter on the intake shaft, and direct injection.
The drive timing chain is used with a service life designed for the entire period of engine operation, but in fact, replacing of the timing chain requires 50-100 thousand. Km. Let us turn to the most important thing – boost. The weak version is equipped with a conventional turbocharger TD02, a more powerful 1.4 TSI has Twincharger, operates according to Eaton TVS compressor + turbo KKK K03, which virtually eliminates the turbo lag effect and provides significantly more power.
VW EA111 Engine specs
|Manufacturer||Mlada Boleslav Plant|
|Cylinder block alloy||Cast Iron|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Piston stroke, mm||75.6|
|Cylinder bore, mm||76.5|
|Power output, hp||122-180/5000-6200|
|Torque output, lb-ft||145-185/1500-4500|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km
|Oil consumption, L/1000 km
(qt. per mile)
|up to 0.5
(1 qt. per 1200 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine Oil Capacity, L (qt.)||3.8|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||15,000 (10,000)|
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||–|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
What Cars Have A VW EA111 Engine?
- Aido A1
- Aido A3
- Volkswagen Jetta
- Volkswagen Golf
- Volkswagen Tiguan
- Audi A1
- Audi A3
- Volkswagen Beetle A5
- Volkswagen Passat
- CAXA – popular 122-strong version of the 1.4 TSI engine for the Volkswagen Golf 5, VW Passat, VW Scirocco, VW Tiguan, Seat Toledo, Skoda Octavia 2. Uses one turbine with a maximum pressure of 1.8 bar.
- CAXC – slightly more powerful version of the Audi A3 and SEAT Leon.
- CFBA – the most powerful version of the one turbine output 131 hp. The engine was designed for Volkswagen Golf 6, VW Jetta, Passat B6, Skoda Octavia 2.
- BMY – engine with a compressor and turbo pressure of 2.5 bar, capacity -140 hp – Volkswagen Touran, VW Golf V, VW Jetta.
- CAVF – slightly more powerful version, 150 hp – SEAT Ibiza FR.
- BWK, CAVA, CDGA – similar in power version, with a narrower range of maximum torque. Intended for the Volkswagen Passat B7, VW Tiguan, VW Touran.
- CAVD -160 hp strong version for the Volkswagen Golf 6, VW Scirocco, VW Jetta.
- BLG – 170 hp strong modification for the Volkswagen Golf V, VW Jetta, VW Touran.
- CAVE, CTHE – the most powerful version of the 180 strong, is used on the Volkswagen Polo GTI, SEAT Ibiza Cupra, Skoda Fabia RS.
VW 1.4 EA111 Engine Problems
- Stretching of the timing chain and problem with the tensioner. The most common flaw 1.4 TSI, which appears when the run from 40-100 thousand. Km. Noise in is a typical symptom. Treatment: you should replace the timing chain. If you do not want to see this problem again: remember – it is not necessary to keep the vehicle on a slope on the transmission.
- Seems like a car doesn’t accelerate well. In this case, most likely the problem with Wastegate in turbocharger.
- Vibration, noise, motor oil overspending. A common thing for the 1.4 TSI engine, after a nice warm-up these symptoms, will go away.
Besides, VW-Audi TSI engines are long-time heated (warming up very slowly) and like to “eat” a high-quality oil, but the problem is not so critical. With timely service, using high-quality gasoline, “quiet” operation and a normal relation to the turbine (when you stop give it time to work for 1-2 minutes), the motor will serve you for a long time. The resource of the Volkswagen 1.4 TSI EA111 engine is about 300,000 km.
Despite all the technology and advancement of EA111 series (the engine 1.4 TSI is a multiple winner of the “Engine of the Year”), at the moment it is replaced with an even more perfect series of EA211 with a new, major change, – 1.4 TSI engine.
Volkswagen 1.4 TSI Engine Tuning
The simplest and the most reliable way to increase the capacity of these engines is chip tuning. Usually chipping to a Stage 1 1.4 TSI 122 hp is able to turn it into a 140-150 horsepower engine, depending on the tuning firm. This will not change the resource significantly – it is a good urban option.
On engines with Twincharger the situation is more interesting. This firmware can be lifted to the Stage 1 capacity of up to +/- 200 hp. Bet you won’t stop there. The standard Stage 2: chip, exhaust no catalyst), inlet (low resistance filter inlet or cold), intercooler. It will give about +/- 250 hp, with relatively reliable traveling forces. Then climb is not as profitable, plus reliability could be lower.