Hey there, Miata fanatics and car enthusiasts! Are you ready to supercharge your Mazda Miata and transform it into the dream ride you always wanted? We’re diving into the world of Miata engine swaps, where possibilities are as vast as the open road ahead.
The Mazda Miata, a gem in the sports car world, is beloved for its sleek design, nimble handling, and the pure joy it brings to driving. Whether cruising coastal roads or hugging tight corners on a track day, the Miata has earned its stripes as a driver’s car. But what if you could crank up the excitement a notch?
That’s where engine swaps come in – the ultimate way to customize your Miata for more power, better performance, or even a unique twist that sets your ride apart.
In this guide, we’re not just talking about any engine swaps. We’re exploring the cream of the crop – the swaps that fit perfectly in your Miata and take its performance to the next level. We’ve got all the juicy details, from classic Mazda engines to V8 beasts and even cutting-edge electric conversions.
Mazda Miata Engine Swap Compatibility Chart
|Compatible Miata Models
|Mazda BP Engine
|Minor (varies by BP variant)
|Moderate power increase, good handling
|Low to moderate
|Easy to moderate
|GM LS V8 Engine
|NA, NB, NC, ND
|Extensive: mounts, transmission, drivetrain, cooling
|High power increase, handling adjustments
|NA, NB, NC
|Engine mounts, transmission adaptation
|Balanced power increase, maintains handling
|NA, NB, NC, ND
|Engine mounts, ECU, cooling system upgrade
|High efficiency, modern power
|Moderate to high
|Moderate to hard
|Toyota 2JZ Engine
|Extensive: mounts, transmission, exhaust, cooling
|High power, major handling changes
|NA, NB, NC, ND
|Battery placement, weight distribution
|Instant torque, different driving experience
– Performance Impact: Includes both power output and the impact on handling and weight distribution.
– Costs: This can vary based on the source of the engine and parts and whether labor is DIY or professional.
– Difficulty Level: A general estimation; actual difficulty can vary based on individual skill and experience.
The Basics of Engine Swapping Your Miata: A Journey to More Power
Welcome to the core of Miata customization – engine swaps. Before we jump into the specific engines that can turn your Miata into a roaring beast, let’s get a grip on the basics. Understanding these fundamentals will make your journey smoother and more enjoyable.
Why Swap Engines in a Miata?
The Miata, in its essence, is a nimble and fun-to-drive car. But let’s face it, we all crave a bit more vroom-vroom under the hood. This is where engine swaps play their part.
Swapping the engine of your Miata opens up a whole new world of performance, power, and personality. It’s like giving your car a heart transplant – the body remains, but the soul gets supercharged!
Miata Models and Their Swapping Personalities
Mazda has blessed us with several generations of the Miata – each with its own charm. The NA, NB, NC, and ND models each have unique features that affect your engine swap choices:
- NA and NB Miatas: These are the classics, the OGs of the Miata world. They offer a relatively straightforward canvas for engine swaps, blending nostalgia with modern power.
- NC Miata: The NC is a bit of a middle child, often overlooked but with many potentials. Its larger engine bay offers more room for creativity.
- ND Miata: The latest and most refined, the ND is like a well-tailored suit – it looks great as is but can still dazzle with the right alterations.
Mazda MX-5 Miata Generaions
|2016 – Now
|1.5 L Skyactiv-G (P5-VPS)
2.0 L Skyactiv-G (PE-VPS)
|96 kW (129 hp; 131 PS) (1.5 L)
118 kW (158 hp; 160 PS) (2.0 L)
135 kW (181 hp; 184 PS) (2.0 L)
|1.8 L MZR L8-DE
2.0 L MZR LF-VE
|94 kW (126 hp) (1.8 L)
127 kW (170 hp) (2.0 L)
|1.6 L (98 cu in) B6-ZE
1.8 L (110 cu in) BP-5A
1.8 L (110 cu in) BP-4W
1.8 L (110 cu in) BP-Z3
1.8 L (110 cu in) turbocharged BPT
|1,597 cc B6ZE(RS)
1,597 cc B6ZE(RS) supercharged (Mazdaspeed B-Spec)
1,839 cc BP
1,995 cc BP (Mazdaspeed C-Spec)
Key Considerations Before You Wrench In
Engine swapping is like a puzzle – all pieces must fit perfectly. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Size Matters: Not all engines fit easily into the Miata’s engine bay. It’s about finding the right balance between engine size and available space.
- Weight Distribution: The Miata is renowned for its balance. An engine swap can alter its weight distribution, so consider the impact on handling.
- Compatibility: It’s not just about the engine. Think about the transmission, driveline, exhaust, and electronics.
- Skill Level: Be honest about your mechanical skills. Some swaps are plug-and-play, while others require significant modifications.
Engine swaps in a Miata are more than just upgrading power; they make the car truly yours. It’s a journey that requires patience, skill, and a bit of daring. Whether you’re looking for a slight upgrade or a total transformation, understanding these basics sets the stage for an exciting project ahead.
In the next section, we’ll dive into the popular engine swap options that have proven to be game-changers for Miata enthusiasts. Stay tuned, and let’s keep the revs high!
Popular Engine Swaps for the Mazda Miata: Your Guide to a Power Upgrade
Revamping your Miata with a new engine is an exhilarating way to unleash its potential. Let’s explore some of the most popular engine swap options, each bringing a unique twist to your roadster.
Mazda BP Engine: Staying True to Mazda
- What’s Cool About It: The Mazda BP engine, particularly the 1.8L version, is a favorite for Miata enthusiasts who want to stick closer to the Mazda family. It offers a blend of reliability and upgrade potential.
- Tuning Potential: These engines can significantly up your Miata’s game with the right tweaks. Check out this Grassroots Motorsports article for more on tuning the BP engine.
GM LS V8 Engines: The Powerhouse
- Why It’s a Fan Favorite: For those who dream of transforming their Miata into a high-performance machine, the LS V8 is a popular choice. Its incredible power-to-weight ratio can seriously amp up your Miata’s capabilities.
- Considerations: This swap is demanding, requiring changes to the drivetrain, suspension, and cooling systems. To glimpse what this involves, look at MotorTrends’ coverage of LS engine swaps.
Honda K-Series Engines: High-Revving Precision
- The Appeal: The K-Series is perfect for drivers seeking a balance of power and lightweight performance. These engines maintain the Miata’s agility while boosting its power.
- The Swap: Fitting a K-Series into a Miata involves custom work but keeps the car’s spirit intact. For insights into K-Series swaps, Engine Swap Depot offers detailed examples.
Ford Ecoboost Engines: Modern Turbocharged Tech
- What’s Exciting About Them: These engines bring modern turbo technology and efficiency, offering a contemporary twist to the Miata’s classic charm.
- Integration Challenges: Swapping in an Ecoboost involves navigating advanced electronics and integration systems. For more on Ecoboost swaps, refer to enthusiasts’ discussions on platforms like Miata Forum.
Toyota 2JZ Engine: The Supra Legend
- Why It’s a Dream Swap: Known for its robust performance and tuning capabilities, the 2JZ can turn a Miata into a powerhouse.
- The Effort Involved: This is a more extensive project, demanding significant modifications to accommodate the larger engine. Check out Engine Swap Depot for more on 2JZ swaps.
Electric Motor Swaps: The Future Is Here
- Why Go Electric: Electric swaps are increasingly popular for a completely different experience with instant torque and a quieter ride.
- Technicalities: This swap focuses on electrical engineering, battery placement, and weight distribution. For insights into electric swaps, online forums and communities like DIY Electric Car Forums are great resources.
Each engine swap brings its own set of challenges and rewards, transforming your Miata in unique ways. Whether it’s raw power, balanced performance, or a step into the future with electric power, there’s a swap that suits your vision for the perfect Miata.
Up next, we’ll share some real-world stories of these engine swaps, giving you a glimpse into the adventures and outcomes of these exciting transformations. Stay tuned!
Real-World Miata Engine Swap Stories: Inspiration for Your Project
Now that we’ve explored various engine swap options, let’s dive into some real-world stories. These tales from the Miata community showcase the possible transformations, providing inspiration and practical insights for your swap project.
The Hellcat-Powered Miata
- The Build: One of the most audacious swaps seen in the Miata world is the fitting of a Hellcat engine. This project turned a lightweight Miata into a powerhouse with a staggering power-to-weight ratio.
- Challenges and Triumphs: Fitting such a large engine into the Miata required extensive modifications, but the result was a car that turned heads and shattered expectations. For more on this story, check out the coverage on MotorBiscuit.
Miata Meets Subaru WRX
- The Swap: Another enthusiast chose to swap in a Subaru WRX engine. This unique choice maintained the Miata’s handling while adding a Subaru boxer engine’s distinctive power and sound.
- The Journey: The swap involved customizing the engine bay to fit the wider WRX engine, but the result was a Miata with improved weight distribution and a thrilling driving experience. The exact page from MotorBiscuit offers a closer look at this project.
V8 Adventures: Project Banshee
- The Concept: A popular swap among Miata enthusiasts involves fitting in a Ford 302 V8. Known as Project Banshee, this swap transforms the Miata into a classic American muscle car in a Japanese roadster’s body.
- Behind the Scenes: The swap required significant changes, including a new drivetrain and suspension adjustments, but the outcome was a high-performance Miata with an unforgettable roar. Dive deeper into this project on Engine Swap Depot.
Technical Stuff, Made Easy: Navigating Your Miata Engine Swap
Embarking on an engine swap for your Miata can seem daunting, especially regarding the technical aspects.
Understanding Engine Fitment and Mounts
- The Basics: The first step is ensuring the new engine fits in your Miata’s engine bay. This is about more than just size; it ensures everything aligns correctly.
- Mounting Point Magic: Engine mounts are crucial. You might need custom mounts, which could require some metalwork and welding skills. It’s all about securing the engine firmly while ensuring minimal vibration.
Transmission and Drivetrain Tweaks
- Transmission Compatibility: Will your new engine match the Miata’s transmission? Sometimes, you’ll need a different transmission or a custom adapter to make everything work together.
- Drivetrain Dynamics: Don’t forget about the driveshaft and differential. These might need adjustments or replacements to handle the new engine’s power and torque.
Cooling and Exhaust: Keeping It Chill
- Stay Cool: Upgrading the cooling system is vital. More power generates more heat, so a larger radiator or additional cooling mods might be necessary.
- Exhausting Details: You’ll likely need a custom exhaust system. This isn’t just about letting your engine breathe; it’s also about achieving that perfect roar (or purr).
Electrical and Electronics: The Nerve Center
- Wiring Wonders: Swapping engines often involves some serious electrical work. Integrating the new engine’s wiring harness to ensure compatibility with the Miata’s systems is intricate but essential.
- ECU and Tuning: The Engine Control Unit (ECU) is the brain of the operation. You might need a new ECU or reprogramming (tuning) to get everything running smoothly.
Suspension and Brakes: Handling the Power
- Suspension Adjustments: A more powerful engine can change the way your Miata handles. Upgrading the suspension can help maintain or even improve your car’s legendary handling.
- Braking Power: With great power comes the need for great stopping power. Consider upgrading your brakes to match your engine’s performance.
These technical elements are key to a successful engine swap. While some swaps are more plug-and-play, others require significant modifications. Remember, it’s about creating a harmonious relationship between the new engine and your Miata’s existing systems.
Staying on the Right Side of the Law (and Safety)
Regarding engine swapping your Miata, it’s not just about the thrill and performance. It’s equally important to navigate the legalities and prioritize safety. Here’s what you need to know to keep your project on the straight and narrow.
Legal Considerations: Keeping It Street Legal
- Emission Standards: Depending on your location, your swapped Miata must meet certain emission standards. Modifications that increase emissions can make your car illegal on public roads.
- Inspection and Registration: After an engine swap, your Miata may need to pass an inspection to be registered. This could include a safety inspection, emissions test, and ensuring the VIN matches state records.
- Insurance Implications: Inform your insurance provider about the modifications. Engine swaps can affect your coverage and rates.
Safety First: Protecting Yourself and Your Ride
- Professional Checks: If you’re not a seasoned mechanic, getting a professional to check your work is smart. They can spot potential issues that could affect safety.
- Brake and Suspension Upgrades: As you add power, consider upgrading the brakes and suspension to handle the extra performance.
- Quality Parts: Use high-quality parts and don’t cut corners. This isn’t just about longevity; it’s about ensuring your car is safe to drive.
Navigating the Complexity
- Local Laws and Regulations: Laws vary by region, so checking your local regulations regarding engine swaps and modifications is crucial.
- Documenting Changes: Keep detailed records of your modifications. This documentation can be vital for inspections, insurance, and future maintenance.
Final Thoughts on Legality and Safety
- The Golden Rule: Always prioritize safety and legality. While pushing the limits for extra performance is tempting, staying within legal boundaries ensures you can enjoy your Miata for years.
Considering these legal and safety considerations, you can enjoy the fruits of your labor without unforeseen headaches.
What’s the Damage? (Costs and Resources)
Embarking on an engine swap for your Miata is an exciting journey, but it’s important to consider the financial aspect of this undertaking. Understanding the costs and knowing where to find the right resources can help you plan effectively and avoid surprises.
Estimating the Costs
- Engine Costs: The price of the engine itself varies widely. A used engine can cost a few thousand dollars, while high-performance or rare engines like the LS V8 or 2JZ can be significantly more expensive.
- Additional Parts: Beyond the engine, you’ll need to budget for additional parts like engine mounts, exhaust systems, transmission adapters, cooling systems, and possibly more.
- Labor Costs: If you’re not doing the work yourself, labor can be one of the most significant expenses. Professional installation ensures safety and reliability but can considerably add to your budget.
Sourcing Parts and Kits
- Online Retailers and Marketplaces: Websites like Summit Racing or eBay Motors offer various engines and swap kits.
- Specialized Miata Parts Suppliers: Suppliers like Flyin’ Miata and Moss Miata are invaluable resources for Miata-specific parts.
- Salvage Yards: Don’t overlook salvage yards. They can be a treasure trove for engines and other parts at a fraction of the cost of new items.
Professional Services and Support
- Mechanic and Specialist Shops: If you’re not a DIY person, finding a reliable mechanic or a specialist shop with experience in Miata swaps is crucial. They can provide accurate estimates and high-quality work.
- Online Communities and Forums: Websites like Miata.net and MX-5 Miata Forum are great places to seek advice, find resources, and learn from others’ experiences.
Budgeting for Your Swap
- Plan for Extra: Always budget for more than your initial estimate. Unexpected costs are common in such complex projects.
- Time is Money: Remember that time is also a resource. If the project takes longer than expected, it could impact your budget, especially if you’re renting garage space or tools.
Final Thoughts on Budgeting
- Be Realistic: It’s easy to underestimate the total cost of an engine swap. Do thorough research and set a realistic budget to ensure your project reaches completion without financial strain.
Wrapping Up: Your Miata Engine Swap Adventure Awaits
As we end our guide, you’re now armed with the knowledge, resources, and community connections to kickstart your Miata engine swap journey. Whether it’s amping up the power with a V8, balancing performance with a K-Series, or diving into the future with an electric swap, your Miata is a canvas waiting for your personal touch.
- Engine Choices: From the versatile Mazda BP to the mighty LS V8, each engine swap has its unique appeal and set of challenges.
- Technical Insights: Understanding the basics of fitment, transmission compatibility, cooling, and electronics is crucial for a successful swap.
- Legal and Safety: Always prioritize legality and safety. Check local regulations and upgrade brakes and suspension to match your new power.
- Budgeting: Be realistic with your budget. Consider all costs, including unforeseen expenses, to ensure your project’s success.
- Community Support: Tap into the wealth of knowledge in the Miata community through forums, social media, and local clubs.
Embarking on Your Project
- Plan and Research: Use the resources and links provided to plan your swap meticulously. Knowledge is power, especially in complex projects like engine swaps.
- Connect and Engage: Join the Miata family, share your journey, and don’t hesitate to seek advice. The shared experiences and support from fellow enthusiasts can be invaluable.
The Road Ahead
- Enjoy the Process: Remember, the journey is as important as the destination. Enjoy each step of your engine swap project, from the planning stages to the final test drive.
- The Reward: Once completed, your Miata will not only be a reflection of your hard work but also a testament to your passion for cars and customization.
The information provided in this article is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as professional mechanical advice. While the author has made every effort to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information in this article, we make no warranties or representations as to the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or suitability of the information provided.
Engineswork.com participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.