Disclosure: we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post via affiliate links to products. This doesn't make any additional cost to you.
In 2011, BMW started to produce its N20B20 turbocharged four-cylinder engine, which was meant to be used instead of six-cylinder N53B25 and N53B30 inline engines.
The engine features an aluminum cylinder block, which has two balance shafts and cylinders with steel armour. Moreover, the engine features a forged crankshaft with four counterbalances planted with offset. The length of connecting rods, which are almost identical to the ones of BMW N55, is 144.35 mm. Also, the N20B20 features FM pistons with a negative shift of the piston ring.
Another similarity of N20B20 and N55 engines is the cylinder head with Valvetronic III, a variable timing system, employed in combination with Double-VANOS system on the intake and exhaust camshafts. The N20B20 engine has the Turbocharged Valvetronic Direct Injection system, which is also known as TVDI.
The N20 engine, which features the Twin Scroll Turbo System by Mitsubishi TD04LR6-04HR.15TK31-60T, has a boost pressure of 17 psi (1.15 bar).
The intake manifold of N20 resembles the one of N55 engine.
The N20 engine employs the Bosch MEVD17.2.4.system.
Breakdown of N20 engine designation:
- N – BMW Group Development
- 2 – 4-cylinder in-line engine
- 0 – Engine with exhaust turbocharger, Valvetronic and direct fuel injection (TVDI)
- B – Gasoline engine, longitudinally installed
- 20 – 2.0 litres displacement
- O – upper-performance class
- 0 – New development
BMW N20B20 Engine Specs
|Manufacturer||BMW Plant Hams Hall|
|Also called||BMW N20|
|Cylinder block alloy||Aluminum|
4 valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||90.1 (3.55)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||84 (3.31)|
|Displacement||1997 cc (121.9 cu in)|
|Power output||115 kW (156 HP) at 5,000 rpm
135 kW (184 HP) at 5,000 rpm
160 kW (218 HP) at 5,500 rpm
180 kW (245 HP) at 5,000 rpm
|Torque output||240 Nm (177 lb·ft) at 1,250-4,500 rpm
270 Nm (199 lb·ft) at 1,250-4,500 rpm
310 Nm (229 lb·ft) at 1,350-4,800 rpm
350 Nm (258 lb·ft) at 1,250-4,800 rpm
|HP per liter||78.1
|Fuel system||Bosch MEVD17.2.4|
|Weight, kg (lbs)||–|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|for F30 328i
|Oil consumption, L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 0.7
(1 qt. per 850 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||5 (5.3)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||7,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||–|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
|Setting of map thermostat||Coolant temperature|
|Starts to open||97 C / 206 F|
|Fully open||109 C* / 228 F|
BMW N20B20 Engine Modifications
- N20B20O0 (since 2011) is the basic type of the engine, applied for BMW 28i cars. Its compression ratio is 10 while its boost pressure is 17 psi (1.15 bar). The N20B20O0 reaches 245 hp at 5,000 rpm and 350 NM at 1,250-4,800 rpm.
- N20B20O0 (since 2013) is applied primarily for BMW 25i vehicles. It reaches 238 hp at 5,000 rpm and 350 NM at 1,250-4,800 rpm.
- N20B20M0 (since 2012) is a variation of the engine, which is used for BMW 25i models. Its power is 218 hp at 5,000 rpm and 310 Nm at 1,350-4,800 rpm.
- N20B20U0 (since 2011) is a variation of the engine, which has high compression ratio of 11. BMW 20i models feature N20B20U0 engines. The boost pressure is 8 psi (0.55 bar) thanks to the exhaust system with the smaller caliber. The power of this engine is 184 hp at 5,000 rpm and 270 Nm at 1,250-4,500 rpm.
- N20B20U0 (since 2013) is the least powerful variation of the engine, which is used for BMW 18i cars. With the compression ratio of 10, its power is 156 hp at 5,000 rpm and 240 Nm at 1,250-4,400 rpm.
115 kW version:
- 2013-present BMW E89 Z4 sDrive18i
135 kW version:
- 2011–present E84 X1 xDrive/sDrive20i
- 2011–present F25 X3 xDrive20i
- 2012–2015 F30 320i
- 2013–present F34 320i GT
- 2011–present F10 520i
- 2013-present F10 520Li
- 2011–present E89 Z4 sDrive20i
- 2014–present F22 220i
- 2015-present Brilliance Huasong 7 MPV
160 kW version:
- 2012–present F20 125i
- 2013–present F10 525Li
- 2015-present Brilliance Huasong 7 MPV
170 kW version:
- 2014–present F22 225i
180 kW version:
- 2011–present E89 Z4 sDrive28i
- 2011–2015 E84 X1 xDrive/sDrive28i
- 2012–present F25 X3 xDrive28i
- 2011–2016 F30 328i
- 2011–present F10 528i
- 2013–2016 F34 328i GT
- 2014–2016 F22 228i
- 2014–present F26 X4 xDrive20i
BMW N20 engine problems And Reliability
The majority of pluses and minuses of the N20 engine are akin to the ones of 1.6-liter engine from the N13 series. Among the major disadvantages are high vibration, rough idling and high fuel consumption.
- High vibration. If you feel that the engine vibrates too much, have a look at the fuel injectors, which can be dirty. In order to solve the problem, clean the fuel injectors.
- Rough idling. If you want to prevent rough idling, take care that the throttle flap and idling valve are clean. They cause rough idling when they get dirty.
- High fuel consumption. When you face this problem, you need to check air flow meter. As a rule, it’s the main cause of high fuel consumption.
BMW N20 engine tuning
As can be easily understood from the preceding description, in fact, there are only two variations of BMW N20 engines: one with a compression ratio of 10:1 and the other with a compression ratio of 11:1. The range of other motors provided by the wealth of different settings of the engine control unit.
Structurally, the difference between these engines is only in the form of pistons. For engines with a compression ratio of 11:1 is used with a smaller volume of the piston recess in the piston crown.
Thus, any engine with a compression ratio of 10:1 is possible to boost on 245 hp. This applies to models of BMW z4-1.8i, BMW 125i, BMW-X1 20i and BMW-X3 20i, as well as some models with the index 20i, which has the engine with low compression (available in countries with poor gasoline, S858 option).
For other models, N20B20-U0 motor to achieve identical factory settings is necessary to change the piston. However, experience has shown that engines with a compression ratio of 11 in the whole work fine on a regular firmware 245 hp.
Last update on 2021-03-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API