The basic version of the BMW M52 engine created on the basis of a 2-liter M50 engine and was produced from 1994 to 2003.
M52B20 engine was introduced to the market in 1994. The diameter of the cylinders is equal to 80 mm and stroke of 66 mm. Engine power and torque of 150 hp at 5900 rpm and 190 Nm at 4200 rpm.
The engine is installed in:
Table of contents
BMW M52TUB20 engine
M52TUB20 engine is an upgraded version of the M52B20 engine. It appeared on the market in 1998, and received a double change VANOS valve timing system. This improvement make it possible to obtain the peak torque on 700 rpm lower than the first version of M52B20 engine. Engine power and torque remain the same, and made 150 hp at 5900 rpm and 190 Nm at 3500 rpm.
The engine is installed in:
M52B20 engine Specs
|Also called||BMW M52|
|Cylinder block alloy||Nikasil-coated aluminum|
4 valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||66 (2.6)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||80 (3.15)|
|Displacement||1991 cc (121.5 cu in)|
|Power output||110 kW (150 HP) at 5,900 rpm
110 kW (150 HP) at 5,900 rpm (TU)
|Torque output||190 Nm (140 lb·ft) at 4,200 rpm
190 Nm (140 lb·ft) at 3,500 rpm (TU)
|HP per liter||75.3|
Siemens MS42.0 (TU)
|Weight, kg (lbs)||~165 (364)
~175 (386) (TU)
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|for E46 320i
|Oil consumption , L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 1.0
(1 qt. per 750 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||6.5 (6.9)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)|| 7,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||~95 (203)|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
BMW M52B20 engine problems
- Wear of the working surface of the cylinder wall: the reason – as the cylinder block in M52 is made of aluminum alloy with a coating on the cylinder walls of Nicosia, the working surface as compared to cast iron engine less resistant to harmful fuel components;
- Leak of oil from the cup of the oil filter;
- Drop of the oil pressure: the possible cause of the problem – reducing valve or the wear of inserts;
- Cracks in the cylinder head covers;
BMW M52 engine has been replaced with the BMW M54 engine.
BMW E36 320i Remus exhaust sound
BMW 320i E36 M52B20 Novus Sound
BMW M52B20 compression test
BMW E36 320i m52b20 problem
- En.wikipedia.org. (2017). BMW M52. [online] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M52.
- How many miles can a Jetta or Golf 2.0 year ’99-’00 take if normally maintained?
- How do you repair a 1990 Honda Accord speedometer that is always on the lowest speed even when driving?
- How many miles can a Pontiac T6000 go before it is done is 236K too many?
- Does the new Toyota Corolla look better in the blue grey color or the light grey?
- Which car would you buy?
- What is the world’s reliable car that can last with zero maintenance?
- Which car should I get, a 2005 Nissan Sentra S or a 2001 Toyota Camry Le?