2GR-FE is a 3.4L V6 gasoline motor for transverse mounting, first released in 2004 as an alternative to 1MZ-FE V6 and celebrated 2JZ. Soon after its launch, it turned into one of the most popular brand’s engines, applied for Toyota Camry, RAV4 and Highlander. Moreover, this engine is utilized for Lexus IS 350, GS 350, RX 350 and some other vehicles, including Lotus Evora S and Exige S.
Identical to 1GR-FE, 2GR keeps a cast aluminum open deck cylinder block with spiny cast iron sleeves cast into the block material. The angle between cylinder banks is 60 degrees. Motor keeps forged steel crankshaft along with 5 counterbalances and forged rods. Pistons of aluminum help to decrease friction owing to skirts with resin covering. Block utilizes oil jets, which sprinkle pistons with oil and lower their temperature.
Every cylinder head consists of aluminum alloy cylinder head, camshaft housing plus valve cover. 2GR features double overhead chain-driven intake and exhaust camshafts on adverse sides of cylinder. Intake camshafts are controlled by main timing chain. Exhaust ones are managed by intake camshafts through secondary chains. Valve timing is provided with Dual VVT-I system. Roller rocker arms operate valves. As hydraulic lash adjusters are applied, valve clearance is automatically regulated.
2GR-FE keeps plastic variable-length intake manifold, driven by Acoustic Control Induction System, which chooses the proper length in accordance with engine revs by opening and closing intake air control valve. Simultaneously, Electronic Throttle Control System with intelligence controls throttle valve. Acceleration pedal features position sensor and wires, having no physical contact with throttle body. Motor gained L-type sequential fuel injection system and DIS ignition. Separate ignition coils are utilized for each spark plug and are placed in their caps. Stainless steel exhaust manifolds and a three-way catalytic converter on each side control the exhaust gas outlet.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky
Toyota Motor Manufacturing West Virginia
|Also called||Toyota 2GR|
|Cylinder block alloy||Aluminum|
4 valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||83 (3.27)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||94 (3.70)|
|Displacement||3456 cc (210.9 cu in)|
|Power output||183 kW (249 HP) at 6,000 rpm
200 kW (270 HP) at 6,200 rpm
201 kW (272 HP) at 6,200 rpm
205 kW (278 HP) at 6,200 rpm
206 kW (280 HP) at 6,400 rpm
227 kW (309 HP) at 6,400 rpm
232 kW (315 HP) at 6,400 rpm
234 kW (318 HP) at 6,400 rpm
241 kW (328 HP) at 6,400 rpm
257 kW (350 HP) at 7,000 rpm
265 kW (360 HP) at 6,400 rpm
|Torque output||317 Nm (234 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
336 Nm (248 lb·ft) at 4,700 rpm
333 Nm (246 lb·ft) at 4,700 rpm
346 Nm (255 lb·ft) at 4,700 rpm
350 Nm (258 lb·ft) at 4,600 rpm
377 Nm (278 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
377 Nm (278 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
380 Nm (280 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
400 Nm (295 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
400 Nm (295 lb·ft) at 4,500 rpm
498 Nm (367 lb·ft) at 3,200 rpm
|HP per liter||72
|Weight, kg (lbs)||163 (360) 2GR-FE|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|for Lexus RX350
|Oil consumption , L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 1.0
(1 qt. per 750 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||6.1 (6.4)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||5,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||–|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
- 2004–2012 Toyota Avalon (GSX30)
- 2012–2018 Toyota Avalon (GSX40)
- 2006–2012 Toyota Aurion (GSV40)
- 2005–2012 Toyota RAV4/Vanguard (GSA33/38)
- 2006–present Toyota Estima/Previa/Tarago (GSR50/55)
- 2006–2011 Toyota Camry (GSV40)
- 2011–2017 Toyota Camry (GSV50)
- 2006–2012 Lexus ES 350 (GSV40)
- 2012–2018 Lexus ES 350 (GSV50)
- 2007–2009 Lexus RX 350/Toyota Harrier (GSU30/31/35/36)
- 2009–2015 Lexus RX 350 (GGL10/15/16)
- 2007–2016 Toyota Highlander/Kluger (GSU40/45/50/55)
- 2007-2012 Toyota Blade (GRE156)
- 2007-2013 Toyota Mark X Zio (GGA10)
- 2008–present Toyota Alphard/Vellfire (GGH20/25)
- 2008–2016 Toyota Venza (GGV10/15)
- 2009–present Lotus Evora (280ps & 350Nm using Lotus engine management, Sport Pack package redline increased to 7000rpm)
- 2006–2016 Toyota Sienna (GSL20/23/25/30/33/35)
- 2009-present Bolwell Nagari 300
- Toyota Corolla (E140/E150) (for Super GT use)
- Lotus Evora GTE (modified 4 litre version with 470 hp N/A for race use in the ALMS and at the 24 Hours of Le Mans)
- 2007-2009 TRD Aurion (TRD supercharger)
- 2009-present Bolwell Nagari 300 (Sprintex supercharger)
- 2011–16 Lotus Evora S (345 hp, 295 lb-ft)
- 2012 Lotus Exige S (345 hp, 295 lb-ft)
- 2017-present Lotus Evora 400 (400, 410, 430 hp)
- 2018 Lotus Exige Cup (430 hp)
2GR-FE Engine Modifications
2GR-FE (since 2005) is a primary variation. Gaining compression index of 10.8, it reaches output of 277 hp at 6,200 rpm and a torque of 346 Nm (255 lb-ft) at 4,700 rpm.
2GR-FSE (D4S) (since 2006) is identical to the previous version but featuring direct injection system. Gaining increased compression rate of 11.8, it achieves 296-318 hp.
2GR-FXE (since 2010) has much in common with 1GR-FE, managed by Atkinson cycle. Compression rate equals to 12.5 while output is 249 hp at 6,000 rpm and a torque of 317 Nm (234 lb-ft) at 4,800 rpm. Another version of this motor with compression index of 13 reaches 295 hp at 6,000 rpm and a torque of 352 Nm (260 lb-ft) at 4,500 rpm.
2GR-FZE (since 2010) is a sport version of motor, containing a supercharger and gaining 325-350 hp. Lotus Exige, Evora and Toyota Aurion TRD utilize it.
2GR-FE Engine Problems and reliability
- Leakage of oil. It has to do with oil tube in a VVT-I lubrication system. This tube is made of iron and rubber and that rubber part may begin to leak in course of time. Due to this trouble, many Toyota automobiles were withdrawn. If your motor was manufactured before 2010, you’d better change iron-rubber tube for metal one.
- Noisy start. Being a widespread trouble for 1 and 2GR motors, it deals with VVT-I system, which must be checked and repaired.
- Low speed of idle run. Take into account that throttle body must be cleaned after every 30,000 miles (50,000 kilometers) run.
Additionally, a fresh water pump must be acquired after every 30,000-45,000 miles (50,000-70,000 kilometers) as it may leak if it’s too old. Besides, primary versions of this engine may face problems with disarrangement of ignition coils.
2GR motor can run for more than 180,000 miles (300,000 kilometers) if proper maintenance is provided. Moreover, try to buy engine oil of the best quality.