Disclosure: we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post via affiliate links to products. This doesn't make any additional cost to you.
2GR-FE is a 3.4L V6 gasoline motor for transverse mounting, first released in 2004 as an alternative to 1MZ-FE V6 and celebrated 2JZ. Soon after its launch, it turned into one of the most popular brand’s engines, applied for Toyota Camry, RAV4 and Highlander. Moreover, this engine is utilized for Lexus IS 350, GS 350, RX 350 and some other vehicles, including Lotus Evora S and Exige S.
Identical to 1GR-FE, 2GR keeps a cast aluminum open deck cylinder block with spiny cast iron sleeves cast into the block material. The angle between cylinder banks is 60 degrees. The motor keeps forged steel crankshaft along with 5 counterbalances and forged rods. Pistons of aluminum helps to decrease friction owing to skirts with resin covering. Block utilizes oil jets, which sprinkle pistons with oil and lower their temperature.
Every cylinder head consists of the aluminum alloy cylinder head, camshaft housing plus valve cover. 2GR features double overhead chain-driven intake and exhaust camshafts on adverse sides of the cylinder. Intake camshafts are controlled by main timing chain. Exhaust ones are managed by intake camshafts through secondary chains. Valve timing is provided with the Dual VVT-I system. Roller rocker arms operate valves. As hydraulic lash adjusters are applied, valve clearance is automatically regulated.
2GR-FE keeps plastic variable-length intake manifold, driven by Acoustic Control Induction System, which chooses the proper length in accordance with engine revs by opening and closing intake air control valve. Simultaneously, Electronic Throttle Control System with intelligence controls throttle valve.
Acceleration pedal features position sensor and wires, having no physical contact with throttle body. Motor gained L-type sequential fuel injection system and DIS ignition. Separate ignition coils are utilized for each spark plug and are placed in their caps. Stainless steel exhaust manifolds and a three-way catalytic converter on each side control the exhaust gas outlet.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky
Toyota Motor Manufacturing West Virginia
|Also called||Toyota 2GR|
|Cylinder block alloy||Aluminum|
4 valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||83 (3.27)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||94 (3.70)|
|Displacement||3456 cc (210.9 cu in)|
|Power output||183 kW (249 HP) at 6,000 rpm
200 kW (270 HP) at 6,200 rpm
201 kW (272 HP) at 6,200 rpm
205 kW (278 HP) at 6,200 rpm
206 kW (280 HP) at 6,400 rpm
227 kW (309 HP) at 6,400 rpm
232 kW (315 HP) at 6,400 rpm
234 kW (318 HP) at 6,400 rpm
241 kW (328 HP) at 6,400 rpm
257 kW (350 HP) at 7,000 rpm
265 kW (360 HP) at 6,400 rpm
|Torque output||317 Nm (234 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
336 Nm (248 lb·ft) at 4,700 rpm
333 Nm (246 lb·ft) at 4,700 rpm
346 Nm (255 lb·ft) at 4,700 rpm
350 Nm (258 lb·ft) at 4,600 rpm
377 Nm (278 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
377 Nm (278 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
380 Nm (280 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
400 Nm (295 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
400 Nm (295 lb·ft) at 4,500 rpm
498 Nm (367 lb·ft) at 3,200 rpm
|HP per liter||72
|Weight, kg (lbs)||163 (360) 2GR-FE|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|for Lexus RX350
|Oil consumption, L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 1.0
(1 qt. per 750 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||6.1 (6.4)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||5,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||–|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
- 2004–2012 Toyota Avalon (GSX30)
- 2012–2018 Toyota Avalon (GSX40)
- 2006–2012 Toyota Aurion (GSV40)
- 2005–2012 Toyota RAV4/Vanguard (GSA33/38)
- 2006–present Toyota Estima/Previa/Tarago (GSR50/55)
- 2006–2011 Toyota Camry (GSV40)
- 2011–2017 Toyota Camry (GSV50)
- 2006–2012 Lexus ES 350 (GSV40)
- 2012–2018 Lexus ES 350 (GSV50)
- 2007–2009 Lexus RX 350/Toyota Harrier (GSU30/31/35/36)
- 2009–2015 Lexus RX 350 (GGL10/15/16)
- 2007–2016 Toyota Highlander/Kluger (GSU40/45/50/55)
- 2007-2012 Toyota Blade (GRE156)
- 2007-2013 Toyota Mark X Zio (GGA10)
- 2008–present Toyota Alphard/Vellfire (GGH20/25)
- 2008–2016 Toyota Venza (GGV10/15)
- 2009–present Lotus Evora (280ps & 350Nm using Lotus engine management, Sport Pack package redline increased to 7000rpm)
- 2006–2016 Toyota Sienna (GSL20/23/25/30/33/35)
- 2009-present Bolwell Nagari 300
- Toyota Corolla (E140/E150) (for Super GT use)
- Lotus Evora GTE (modified 4 litre version with 470 hp N/A for race use in the ALMS and at the 24 Hours of Le Mans)
- 2007-2009 TRD Aurion (TRD supercharger)
- 2009-present Bolwell Nagari 300 (Sprintex supercharger)
- 2011–16 Lotus Evora S (345 hp, 295 lb-ft)
- 2012 Lotus Exige S (345 hp, 295 lb-ft)
- 2017-present Lotus Evora 400 (400, 410, 430 hp)
- 2018 Lotus Exige Cup (430 hp)
2GR-FE Engine Modifications
2GR-FE (since 2005) is a primary variation. Gaining compression index of 10.8, it reaches output of 277 hp at 6,200 rpm and a torque of 346 Nm (255 lb-ft) at 4,700 rpm.
2GR-FSE (D4S) (since 2006) is identical to the previous version but featuring a direct injection system. Gaining an increased compression rate of 11.8, it achieves 296-318 hp.
2GR-FXE (since 2010) has much in common with 1GR-FE, managed by the Atkinson cycle. The compression rate equals to 12.5 while the output is 249 hp at 6,000 rpm and a torque of 317 Nm (234 lb-ft) at 4,800 rpm. Another version of this motor with a compression index of 13 reaches 295 hp at 6,000 rpm and a torque of 352 Nm (260 lb-ft) at 4,500 rpm.
2GR-FZE (since 2010) is a sport version of a motor, containing a supercharger and gaining 325-350 hp. Lotus Exige, Evora, and Toyota Aurion TRD utilize it.
2GR-FE Engine Problems and Reliability
- Leakage of oil. It has to do with the oil tube in a VVT-I lubrication system. This tube is made of iron and rubber and that rubber part may begin to leak in the course of time. Due to this trouble, many Toyota automobiles were withdrawn. If your motor was manufactured before 2010, you’d better change the iron-rubber tube for a metal one.
- Noisy start. Being widespread trouble for 1 and 2GR motors, it deals with the VVT-I system, which must be checked and repaired.
- Low speed of the idle run. Take into account that throttle body must be cleaned after every 30,000 miles (50,000 kilometers) run.
- Squeaking noise from engine compartment. Some 2005-08 Avalons, 2006-08 RAV4s, 2007-08 Camrys and Siennas and 2008 Highlanders (all with the 2GR-FE 3.5L V6) may emit an annoying squeaking sound from the engine bay when the engine is idling. One likely source of the noise, says Toyota, is a worn No. 2 idler pulley. Replacing it with a more rugged design (Part No. 16604-0P011) and adding an extra pulley cover plate (Part No. 16649-31020) should silence the noise in short order.
In the illustration at right, notice that there are two No. 2 idler pulleys shown. Avalon, Camry and Sienna models use both, so you’ll have to double up when you order the new-design pulley. RAV4 and Highlander models have electric power steering, so they use just one No. 2 idler pulley—the one on the lower right in the illustration. Also take note that the No. 2 idler pulley is sandwiched between two cover plates. The plate to the outside of the pulley already comes on the engine. The plate to the inside of the pulley is the extra one that must be installed to ensure that the squeak is eliminated.
Don’t forget to order two extra cover plates for Avalons, Camrys and Siennas, and one for RAV4s and Highlanders. You can get at the pulleys by working through the passenger-side wheel well opening. After installing the new pulley(s) and extra cover plate(s), tighten the retaining bolt(s) to 40 ft.-lbs.
Additionally, a freshwater pump must be acquired after every 30,000-45,000 miles (50,000-70,000 kilometers) as it may leak if it’s too old. Besides, primary versions of this engine may face problems with the disarrangement of ignition coils.
2GR motor can run for more than 180,000 miles (300,000 kilometers) if proper maintenance is provided. Moreover, try to buy engine oil of the best quality.
Toyota 2GR-FE Engine For Sale
- All cylinder heads are both vacuum and pressure tested to verify valve seating, and integrity of water passages.
- All cylinder heads are packaged in environmentally safe and recyclable containers that are the perfect size for returning your original core.
- All threads and machined surfaces are and repaired with technology that exceeds the original metal
- Non-sealing iron surfaces painted to prevent oxidization.
2GR-FE Engine Parts
- Utilizes the latest in design and material technology, ensuring quiet and maintenance-free experience
- Premium quality link belt type timing chain for exceptional durability
- All of our timing kit are produced under strictly observed quality under highest ISO 9001:2000 international standards
- Designed to meets or exceeds OE performance requirements
- Please see description details below to ensure the fitment
- OEM PART NO.: 2GR-FE 3GR-FE
- TYPE: Engine Timing Chain Kit; Fit for Toyota CROWN/REIZ 2.5 3.0
- Perfect fit and finish easy assembly, great replacement for your original one.
- Built with quality materials to ensure the best quality for long lasting usage.
- DELIVERY: Arrived in 7-20 business days. All units are 100% factory tested before shipment.
Last update on 2020-05-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API