- Why You Should Consider Replacing the Seats in Your Car
- Different Kinds of Leather Upholstery
- Tools Required for Replacing Upholstery
- Step-By-Step Instructions for Replacing the Upholstery
- Tips on How to Care for Leather Interior
- Tips for Minor Repair of Leather Upholstery
- Three of the Most Popular Manufacturers of Car Leather Upholstery
Disclosure: we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post via affiliate links to products. This doesn't make any additional cost to you.
If you are the owner of a car which has leather upholstery, or you are thinking about replacing your upholstery for leather then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article we will provide you with a step by step guide on how to replace, restore and take care of your leather upholstery.
Why You Should Consider Replacing the Seats in Your Car
There are many reasons why you should look to change the seats in your car. For example, leather seats have a certain style and quality about them which cannot always be achieved from cloth seats. Contrary to popular belief, leather seats offer great value as when it comes to cleaning them, they are easier to maintain as often the surface can just be wiped clean.
If you are looking to beautify your car, truck, SUV or any other automotive vehicle then customization of your upholstery with leather seats would really help to set it apart from other such vehicles and will really help to give your vehicle that personal look.
Another reason to replace your cloth seats with leather is that this type of upgrade will keep the car looking good for longer as when real leather wears, it’s not a negative as leather looks better as it ages.
Different Kinds of Leather Upholstery
As with most things related to the automotive industry, there is plenty of choice. A leather interior is no different as there are many different types of leather to choose from. For example, you can opt for quilted, flat panel, assembled panel, custom, universal or something more bespoke.
The choices are infinite as you are also able to pick the type of stitching that you prefer, the color and the quality as certain hides will cost more than others. When you are deciding on the installation of your leather interior, it is worth checking an installation guide to see if there is a best fit method.
Tools Required for Replacing Upholstery
There are a number of specialist tools that are required when replacing upholstery. Tools such as a fine point bradawl, staple remover, C cramps, tape measure, soft grip pincers, webbing pliers and a hole punch are just some of the specialist tools that an upholsterer will use when replacing car related upholstery.
Step-By-Step Instructions for Replacing the Upholstery
To replace your car leather upholstery, you need to be fairly sure that you have the appropriate skills and tools to be able to do it yourself if you want to embark on this project.
However, it is highly advisable that for this type of restoration the replacement needs to be undertaken by a professional, so the install is straightforward and completed to a professional standard. The benefits of this is that they will already know the correct steps to follow whilst you will just be able to enjoy the finished product. If you still feel that you want to complete this as a DIY project, here are some instructions for you to follow:
- Make sure that you have the right tools for the job as this will ensure that you are able to finish the work to a high standard.
- Locate all the bolts that hold the seats to the car. Remove these bolts but make sure that you note down where each bolt was removed from. If the vehicle has heated or electric seats, make sure that you unplug the wire before you remove the seats. This is often located underneath the seats.
- Completely remove the seats from the car.
- Once the seats have been removed from the car you will need to start removing the trim. Pay particular attention to how the seat trim was attached to the seat so that you can use a similar method when you need to put it back in again.
- Once the upholstery has been removed, it is a good idea to measure it to see how much leather you will require for the reupholster. Some people like to use the old seats as a template for their new seats.
- Once you have attached the new leather to the seats, reinstall the seats in the same way as you took them out. Remember to reattach any electric seats or airbag modules too.
Tips on How to Care for Leather Interior
Once you’ve had your leather upholstery installed, you will need to take care of it in order to keep it in its full lustre. Cleaning and protecting the leather is paramount so therefore you could look to purchase a leather cleaning kit which will have a step by step instruction manual provided with it. Some additional tips for you to consider are:
- Always use a clean non-abrasive cloth.
- Only use approved leather cleaners.
- After cleaning has taken place, be sure to use a good quality leather balm to seal the surface of the leather.
Tips for Minor Repair of Leather Upholstery
In the unfortunate event that you tear or damage your leather upholstery, there are certain tips that you can follow to try and repair the damage.
If it is a tear that you need to repair, the area can be patched together and glued. You will then need to use a heavy filler to smooth over the joining line. Once the filler has dried, a colourant needs to be added so that the surface blends together.
If the damage is colour fading, you can add a colourant to bring the leather back to its original colour.
Three of the Most Popular Manufacturers of Car Leather Upholstery
Yarwood, Trasncal and Muirhead are three of the biggest names is car leather upholstery. They offer the finest quality leathers which can be personalised to suit your individual tastes.
So, as you can see from the above, having leather in your vehicle is a great way to customise your vehicle and to give your vehicle a new lease of life, whilst at the same time adding a touch of luxury to your vehicle.
Last update on 2021-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API