Table of contents
- 1 EJ20 Engine
- 1.1 EJ20 Specs
- 1.2 Subaru EJ20 engine modifications
- 1.3 EJ20 2.0l engine Problems and Reliability
- 1.4 Subaru EJ20 tuning
The history of this family of engines began in 1989 with the advent of the production program of Subaru Legacy models. In Japan, the debut year of the proposed units of 1.8-liter capacity of 102 hp and the 2-liter 148-hp. In the United States were set at Legacy EJ22 volume of 2.2 liters capacity of 135 hp.
In 1993, there was a significant event, which marked a new era in the brand’s development. In the Subaru lineup a new model called Impreza WRX were shown (even if they were called GT or Turbo, depending on the sales region) with a 2-liter turbo engine with 240 hp, which was placed on the Legacy, but there it does not exceed the capacity of 217 “horses”.
One year later, engineers slightly increased torsional capacity of this engine simultaneously raising to 6 hp power (although the maximum torque has decreased from 304 to 279 Nm). At the beginning of 1994, Subaru introduced as close as possible to rally car Impreza version, which replaced the 1993 Legacy at the World Cup, the model WRX STi EJ20 from under the hood producing 250 hp and 309 Nm torque.
Since then and to this day, WRX and WRX STi are significant modifications for Subaru and are a favorite tuning objects in the world. Interestingly, in the US 2-liter 227-hp WRX appeared only in 2002, and the WRX STi – in mid-2003 with a 2.5-liter engine of the same capacity.
This engine is also installed in:
- Subaru Impreza (WRX/STI)
- Subaru Forester
- Subaru Legacy
- Isuzu Aska
- SAAB 9-2X
Subaru EJ20 engine modifications
WRX engines specs
|Power output h.p/rpm||240/6000||260/6500||280/6500||280/6500||280/6500||260/6000|
|Torque output, Nm/rpm||304/5000||309/5000||328/5000||338/5000||338/5000||420/4000|
WRX STi Engines specs
|Power output h.p/rpm||250/6500||275/6500||280/6500||280/6500||280/6500||280/6500||320/6800||300/6000|
|Torque output, Nm/rpm||309/5000||319/5000||343/5000||353/5000||353/5000||363/5000||350/5000||460/4500|
EJ20G exist 3 varieties:
- Rocker-style HLA EJ20G, was placed on the Legacy RS, RS-RA and GT 89-93 GG
Power ranged from 197 hp (147 kW) at 6000 rev / min and 260 Nm for the Legacy GT, up to 217 hp (162 kW) at 6400 rev / min and 270 Nm for the Legacy RS.All motors have a water cooling system intercooler and oil jets for piston cooling.
- Bucket-style HLA EJ20G – cardinality indicators began with a 220 hp at 6400 rev / min and 260 Nm for the Impreza WRX in the station wagon, and it reached 275 hp at 6500 rev / min and 319 Nm for the WRX Sti Version II. All engines are equipped with lightweight valves. Motors Wagon WRX and WRX sedan with automatic transmission, manned turbine TD04. Engines WRX sedan with manual transmission, including by Sti, equipped with more productive snail TD05. Intercooler with conventional air cooling.Movers Bucket-style manned Japanese Impreza WRX and WRX Wagon 92-96 GG, Impreza WRX STI 93-96 GG, as well as European Impreza Turbo 94-96 GG
- Shim-over-bucket style EJ20G – in this embodiment, the power ranged from 211 hp For European versions up to 250 hp at 6000 rev / min for right-hand drive versions for native Japanese market. In Japan the car with this engine can be purchased as a mechanic, and with a gun, in Europe the same machine are not offered. Intercooler with conventional air cooling.Applied on the Impreza WRX (manual transmission and automatic transmission) and WRX Wagon (automatic transmission) 97-98 years, on a purely Japanese Forester Turbo 97-98 GG and on the European Impreza Turbo 97-98 years of the same.All EJ20G are equipped with one turbine.
EJ20K engine equipped Impreza WRX, WRX – RA, WRX Sti, WRX type R STI and WRX type R V-LIMITED bodies in the first generation, 1996-1998 model years. It is the only engine, built upon the order of 280 hp, one of those that put on the first generation of the Impreza, as close as possible to rally motors. The turbine is a single.
EJ20X and EJ20Y – data engines equipped with AVCS system of change of phases, with a compression ratio 9.5: 1 achieved power in the 265-280 hp Engines equipped with turbochargers two models – VF38 for cars with automatic transmission and TD04 HLA 19T for vehicles with mechanics.
Applied on the Japanese Legacy in bodies BL5 (sedan) and BP5 (wagon).
EJ205 – used to export Impreza WRX and WRX Wagon Japan since 1999. In addition Imprezas found under the hood of the Japanese Forester Cross Sports and Forester STI, as well as SAAB 9-2X AERO 2004-2005 period. Compression ratio 8.0: 1. Four camshaft (DOHC), one turbine VF29. It was as variants with variable valve, and without them.
EJ206 – installed on Legacy 1998-2003 period, in bodies BE / BH5 GT, GT-B and B4, developed 258 hp and offered only with a gun. Four camshaft (DOHC) and two turbines.
EJ207 – used on Japanese WRX and WRX Sti (except WRX Wagon) since 1998, including on the Impreza WRX STi designed for homologation in the WRC. Naturally timing on four camshafts (DOHC), one turbine VF29. It was as variants with variable valve, and without them.
EJ20H – from 1993 to 1998, was placed on the Japanese Legacy in bodies BD / BG5 versions of RS, RS-B and GT. It was available with both automatic and manual transmission with and gave out 249 hp (183 kW).
For versions RS-B and GT-B was a variant of 255 hp (190 kW) is paired with an automatic transmission. Tvinturbovy chetyrehvalny (DOHC) engine.
EJ20R – According to the Japanese motor manned Legacy 96-98 GG, in bodies of BD / BG5, in RS-B and GT-B versions. The engine produced 280 hp (206 kW) in the two turbines and four camshafts, aggregated only with the mechanics.
EJ208 – intended for the Japanese Legacy 1998-2003 period, in bodies BE / BH5 GT, GT-B and B4. I give out 280 hp (206 kW) and came with a manual transmission only.
EJ20 2.0l engine Problems and Reliability
The engines of this series are not perfect and have some problems, see below which ones.
- Knocking noise. Common knock in the 4th cylinder. This is the hottest cylinder, and cools the worst and that is where the piston starts to knock, first on the cold, then always. We solve this problem overhaul the engine.
- Oil leaks. Most often flow camshaft seals and gaskets cylinder head covers (mostly).
- High oil consumption. It is common for the turbo EJ20, the cause of this occurrence of the piston rings. Time to change the oil (every 7500 km), and do not skimp on it.
To increase the maximum service life on the atmosphere and on the EJ20 turbo, you need to pour only the original engine oil every 7,500 km, using only high-quality petrol. Naturally WRX and STI are bought for other purposes, so their engines may ask overhaul even to the level of 100 thousand. Km. Resource of the EJ20 atmospheric engine performance often significantly higher, and it may be up to 250 thousand. Kilometers (150,000 miles) or more.
Subaru EJ20 tuning
Tuning of an atmospheric EJ20 engine makes no sense. It is better to buy EJ205 and EJ207 and make the swap.
For tuning turbo EJ205 you need to buy an aluminum 2-row radiator (like Mishimoto), front-mount intercooler, intake from the STI, turbine VF30, blow-off, the oil pump from the WRX STI, the candles, the nozzle the STI, pump Walbro 255, the ACL inserts boost Controller, a complete exhaust system with 76 mm pipe. After setting up the control unit, you get about 300 hp
You can also slightly increase the working volume of up to 2.12 liters by setting the crankshaft with 79 mm piston stroke, H-shaped rods, Mahle pistons, ARP studs.
EJ207 Engine tuning starts with the purchase of a front intercooler, TD05-18G turbine blow-offom the HKS, the injectors 800 cc, also need reinforced timing belt, the cold inlet oil pump 12 mm maslokuler, ravnodlinny exhaust manifold, 76mm exhaust and setting of the control unit. In this you can get a 350+ hp. Also on the EJ207 you can make 2.2 liter working volume (2.123), as it’s described above.
Subaru Impreza EJ20 Engine Swap
Subaru EJ20 Twin Turbo Engine
SUBARU EJ20 Engine removal
Subaru WRX EJ205 Rebuild
- Volkswagen Touareg wheel and tire sizes
- Should my new tires match what is currently on my car from the factory?
- What is the difference between a 235/45 ZR17 tire, and a 235/45 R17 tires?
- What does 195/65 HR14 mean in relation to tyres?
- What rims will fit my car?
- Good reliable first cars?
- What class are BMW cars?