Table of contents
- 1 Mitsubishi 4G64 2.4 Engine
- 1.1 4G64 Specs
- 1.2 Mitsubishi 4G64 engine problems
- 1.3 4G64 engine tuning
Mitsubishi 4G64 2.4 Engine
The Mitsubishi Sirius engine (this family, in addition to our 64th, included: 4G63T, 4G61, 4G62, 4G63, 4G67, 4G69, 4D65 and 4D68) with a displacement of 2.4 liters has been designed on the basis of the two-liter 4G63 and the 4G54 came to replace. The height of the cast-iron cylinder block of the 4G63 was increased from 284 mm to 290 mm, installed with the crankshaft stroke of 100 mm (was 88 mm) diameter cylinders wasted to 86.5 mm (was 85 mm), the balance shafts remained in place. Aluminum cylinder head with 8 valve-shaft, a compression ratio of 8.5, 4G64 SOHC 8V power is 112 bhp at 5000 rev / min, 183 Nm of torque at 3500 rev / min.
Later, the cylinder head has been replaced by a valve 16 with a single camshaft (SOHC 16V), the compression ratio is increased to 9.5, the power increased to 128-145 hp at 5500 rev / min, torque 192-206 Nm at 2750 r / min. Still later added one shaft and the cylinder head became DOHC 16V, 9 compression ratio, power increased up to 150-156 hp at 5000.
Later, the cylinder head has been replaced by a valve 16 with a single camshaft (SOHC 16V), the compression ratio is increased to 9.5, the power increased to 128-145 hp at 5500 rev / min, torque 192-206 Nm at 2750 r / min. Still later added one shaft and the cylinder head became DOHC 16V, 9 compression ratio, power increased up to 150-156 hp at 5000 rev / min, the torque is 214-221 Nm at 4000 rev / min. However, the GDI version with direct fuel injection, with the SOHC 16V head, with a compression ratio of 11.5 and 150 hp at 5500 rev / min, 225 Nm of torque at 3500 rev / min. was produced. Version for Mitsubishi Galant, Space Wagon, Space Gear, Space Runner.
All of these cylinder head’s of 4G64 were equipped with lifters, so adjustment of valve is not required. The diameter of the inlet valves is 33 mm, 29 mm – outlet.
The timing belt is used, and the belt replacement is required for every 90 thousand km.
The 4G64 production continues to this day, mainly for Chinese cars and improved version of the 2.4 engine, called 4G69 is produced since 2003.
|Manufacturer||Shenyang Aerospace Mitsubishi Motors Engine Manufacturing Co Ltd
|Valve per cylinder||MIVEC intake|
|Number of cylinders||
|Total displacement, cc||2,351|
|Cylinder bore mm||86.5|
|Piston stroke mm||100|
|Power output h.p at rpm||112/5000
|Torque output, Nm/rpm||184/3500
|Fuel consumption, for Eclipse III
|Oil consumption , L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 1.0
(1 qt. per 750 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||0W-40
|Engine oil capacity, L||4.0|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||7,000-10,000
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
This engine is installed in
- 1993-1997 Mitsubishi Chariot
- 1988–2006 Mitsubishi Delica/Van
- 1997-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Spyder Convertible FWD model equipped with a 141 hp (105 kW) 2.4 L 16-valve SOHC Mitsubishi 4G64 engine
- 2000-2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse
- 1994–2003 Mitsubishi Galant
- 1990–present Mitsubishi L200
- 1996–1998 Mitsubishi Magna (codenamed 4G64-S4 and fitted to the TE-TF series)
- 1990–1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
- 1998-2005 Mitsubishi Montero (V11 – 2 door) Latin America version
- 2001 Mitsubishi Airtrek
- 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander
- 1987–1990 Mitsubishi Sapporo
- 1986-2005 Mitsubishi Triton
- 2005 Mitsubishi Zinger
- 2003-2006 Kia Sorento 2.4i Manual
- 2004–present Brilliance BS6
- 2008–present Chery V5
- 1983–1992 Dodge Colt Vista (AWD only)
- 1990–1992 Dodge Ram 50
- 2006–present Great Wall Hover(X240 and V240)
- 1986-1998 Hyundai Grandeur
- 1989–1991 Hyundai Sonata
- 1999–2005 Hyundai Sonata
- 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe
- 2000–2005 Kia Optima
- 1998-2003 Mitsubishi Space Wagon
Mitsubishi 4G64 engine problems
The 4G64 engine is a copy of the 4G63 engine, but it’s bigger displacement. So, all the problems are identical.
4G64 engine tuning
DOHC + camshafts
To increase the capacity of the 4G64 without a turbine we need to remove the single-shaft cylinder head and buy a new head from the Hyundai Sonata 4 generation (G4JS engine) together with the intake manifold, modify it, remove the rough edges, align the channels. In addition, we need to acquire the throttle from the Evo, the cold inlet, ARP studs, forged pistons for increased compression ratio (~ 11-11.5, for example Wiseco), the Eagle connecting rods, remove the balance shafts, camshafts to buy 272/272 with the split gear and reinforced springs, fuel rail from the Galant, nozzle with capacity of 440-450 cc, Walbro 255 pump, exhaust manifold 4-2-1 (4-1 possible), exhaust 2.5 “pipe, other extra small things and flashing. With all these components 4G64 engine power will rise up to 200+ hp.
4G64 turbo (4G64T)
For further increase of the HP you need to inflate the engine. The easiest way is to buy a cylinder head from the Lancer Evolution, with all attachments, turbine, intercooler, fan, collector, exhaust, which should be finalized by the right vehicle. In addition, improvements will require the establishment of the oil channels for the turbine, also you will need an ARP studs, turbo camshafts 272 with the split gear and reinforced valve springs, forged piston (compression ratio ~ 8.5-9), the Eagle connecting rods, you need to remove the balance shafts, buy jets from Evo 560 cc or more productive, Walbro pump 255. After setting you’ll get 400+ hp.
For increasing torsionity of the 4G64, it is necessary to replace the crankshaft by 88 mm from the Evo or the lightweight, 156 mm rods (titanium for high-power) and to chisel cylinders up to 87 mm, in the amount of 2.1 lt will give you a very high revving engine. You can put a Garrett GT42 with all the attendant things and go quietly well … on a straight line of course..
RARE 2.6L Stroker 4G63/4G64 Hybrid 6-BOLT Race Engine – 1st Gen AWD DSM
4g64 2011 Mitsubishi Triton Tubo with EMS Stinger
EVO 8 MR 4G64 2.4L Pump Gas Dyno
- How many miles can a Jetta or Golf 2.0 year ’99-’00 take if normally maintained?
- How do you repair a 1990 Honda Accord speedometer that is always on the lowest speed even when driving?
- How many miles can a Pontiac T6000 go before it is done is 236K too many?
- Does the new Toyota Corolla look better in the blue grey color or the light grey?
- Which car would you buy?
- What is the world’s reliable car that can last with zero maintenance?
- Which car should I get, a 2005 Nissan Sentra S or a 2001 Toyota Camry Le?