Table of contents
- 1 Mitsubishi 4G63 2.0 L engine
- 2 Products from Amazon.com
- 3 Products from Amazon.com
Mitsubishi 4G63 2.0 L engine
The most famous, popular and iconic representative of a Mitsubishi Sirius 4G6 series (in the family entered 4G63T, 4G61, 4G62, 4G64, 4G67, 4G69, 4D65 and 4D68) appeared in 1981 and replaced the past inline four-cylinder engine 4G52. It is based on a cast-iron cylinder block with two balancing shafts, covered with a simple single-shaft cylinder head with valves 8, which was later replaced by a more modern 16 valve SOHC with the same configuration, and has been applied and the 16 valve DOHC since 1987. These heads were equipped with hydraulic lifter and valves do not require adjustment. The diameter of the inlet valves 33 mm, 29 mm outlet.
Drive timing belt, the average life of the belt is about 90 thousand. Km.
In parallel with the atmospheric engine, since the 1988, company produced a turbocharged engine and the most famous Mitsubishi engine – 4G63T, namely turbo version in the majority of enthusiasts associated with the name of 4G63.
Issue of the two-liter Sirius continues to this day by third-party manufacturers by the Mitsubishi license. The company itself as the Japanese company has replaced the engine for the next generation of 2 liters – 4B11 engine.
Products from Amazon.com
|Manufacturer||Shenyang Aerospace Mitsubishi Motors Engine Manufacturing Co Ltd
|Type||In-line OHV, SOHC|
|Cam Timing||MIVEC intake|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Combustion chamber||Pentroof type|
|Total displacement dm3||1,997|
|Cylinder bore mm||85.0|
|Piston stroke mm||88.0|
|Valve timing||Intake valve:
|Power output h.p at rpm||109/5500
|Lubrication system||Pressure feed, full-flow filtration|
|Oil pump type||Involute gear type|
|Auto-tensioner rod projection length mm||12|
|Camshaft journal outer diameter mm||45|
|Valve face angle mm||45 degree – 45.5 degree|
|Valve seat valve contact width mm||0.9 – 1.3|
|Piston outer diameter mm||85.0|
|Oil consumption , L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 1.0
(1 qt. per 750 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||0W-40
|Engine oil capacity, L||4.0|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||7,000-10,000
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
The engine is installed in
- Mitsubishi Eclipse
- Mitsubishi Galant
- Mitsubishi L200/Triton
- Mitsubishi Lancer
- Mitsubishi Outlander
- Mitsubishi Space Runner/RVR
- Hyundai Elantra
- Hyundai Sonata
- Kia Optima
- Mitsubishi Chariot/Space Wagon
- Mitsubishi Cordia
- Mitsubishi Delica
- Mitsubishi Dion
- Mitsubishi Fuso Canter
- Mitsubishi Starion
- Mitsubishi Tredia
- Brilliance BS6
- Dodge Colt Vista/Eagle Vista Wagon
- Dodge Ram 50
- Eagle Talon/Plymouth Laser
- Hyundai Stellar
- Proton Perdana
4G63 engine modifications and generations
- 4G631 – version with one camshaft and 16 valves (SOHC 16V), the compression ratio of 10, with a capacity of 133 hp at 6000 rev / min, 176 Nm of torque at 4750 rev / min. It fits on Mitsubishi Galant E33, Chariot / Space Wagon and others.
- 4G632 – SOHC 16V, a compression ratio of 10, with a capacity of 137 hp at 6000 rev / min, 176 Nm of torque at 4750 rev / min. It fits on Mitsubishi Galant E55 and others.
- 4G633 – 8 valve version SOHC 8V, 9 compression ratio, capacity of 109 hp at 5500 rev / min, 159 Nm of torque at 4500 rev / min. It fits on Mitsubishi Galant E33, Chariot / Space Wagon and others.
- 4G635 – twin-shaft variation DOHC 16V, 9.8 compression ratio, with a capacity of 144 hp at 6500 rev / min, 170 Nm of torque at 5000 rev / min. It fits on Mitsubishi Galant E33, Eclipse and others.
- 4G636 – SOHC 16V, a compression ratio of 10, with a capacity of 133 hp at 6000 rev / min, 176 Nm of torque at 4750 rev / min. Fits on Mitsubishi Galant E33 / EA2A, Chariot / Space Wagon, RVR / Space Runner and others.
- 4G637 – DOHC 16V, the compression ratio of 10.5, with a capacity of 135 hp at 5750 rev / min, 176 Nm of torque at 4500 rev / min. Sets at 9 Mitsubishi Lancer, Outlander, and others.
4G63 Engine problems and malfunctions
- The problem of balancing shafts c. At defective supply of lubricant on bearings of shaft, the risk of their chock and break of a belt of balancer shafts sharply increases that leads to a break of the timing belt with all its consequences. Solution: buy only high-quality oil, monitor the condition of the belts regularly and change it. Another option is to remove the balancer shafts.
- Engine Vibration. The most common problem here is the wear of engine mountings (left-most). Check and replace.
- Turns of XX float. The main reasons: the injector, a temperature sensor, a dirty throttle control and idle. Check, wash and everything will work as it should.
- In addition, hydraulic lifter die quickly from low-quality oil lifters, replace it every 50 thousand. Km. In general, timely service and good quality motor oil will provide trouble-free operation for a long time. Under these conditions, the average life of 4G63 is 300-400 and more thousand. Km. However, the turbo version is buying not for a peaceful movement, the motor is easy to tune, has a distinct sporty character and the owners take advantage of this, so that the resource is significantly reduced.
4G63 engine turbo on Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX:
- Type – TD05HRA-16G6C-10.5T
- Compressor inlet – 41.00 mm
- Compressor inducer – 48.30 mm
- Compressor exducer – 68.00 mm
- Turbine wheel – 56.00 mm
4G63 Tuning and swap
The easiest and the most affordable way to increase the atmospheric 4G63 power is to put shafts. Our choice falls on camshafts with phase 264/264, we add the cold inlet, Exhaust as 4-2-1, and firmware. This allows the motor to increase its capacity on 15-20 hp.
For turbo tuning of the 4G63 you need to buy a connecting rod and piston group, liners, pan, head, head gasket, turbine, intercooler, intake manifold, rail, injectors, fuel pump, exhaust, ECU, engine mounts, everything from the Evolution, welded an exhaust manifold, assemble and set up, and eventually you obtain power as in EVO.
Alternatively, you can just buy the engine Mitsubishi RVR Turbo, with TD04 and swap it. But you must know that Evo engine won’t be established easely, – need improvement.
4G63 intake manifold and 4G63 exhaust manifold instruction you can find at 4g63 guide
Products from Amazon.com
Swap 4G63 Mitsubishi Powered Mustang
4G63 Datsun 1200 – Jett Racing
Building a 4G63T Engine in 10 minutes
2g 7-bolt 4g63 Engine Removal & Disassembly