The Alfa Romeo Stelvio, named after the iconic Stelvio Pass in Italy, is a testament to the brand’s commitment to combining luxury with performance. Since its debut in 2016, the Stelvio has carved a niche for itself in the competitive world of luxury SUVs.
- Transmission Fluid’s Role: Transmission fluid acts as a lubricant, coolant, and power transmitter in Stelvio’s system, ensuring smooth gear shifts and optimal performance.
- Transmission Variants: The 1st Generation Stelvio offers two main transmission types:
- 6-speed manual (Fluid: 75W-140 API GL-4, Capacity: 1.8L)
- 8-speed automatic (Fluids: TUTELA TRANSMISSION AS 8, ZF LifeGuard Fluid 8, Mopar 8 & 9 speed ATF, Capacity: 9.2L)
- Cost Factors: The cost of a transmission fluid change is influenced by labor rates, fluid type, and regional variations. On average, expect to pay between $150 to $350.
- Common Issues: Be vigilant of symptoms like delayed gear shifts, transmission slipping, unusual noises, and warning lights. Early detection can prevent costly repairs.
- Service Intervals: For the 8-speed automatic transmission, change the transmission fluid every 40,000 miles to ensure optimal performance and longevity.
- Maintenance Benefits: Regular maintenance, especially using the right transmission fluid, extends the vehicle’s lifespan, improves performance, and prevents potential issues.
With its distinctive Italian design, spirited driving dynamics, and a rich heritage that traces back to Alfa Romeo’s racing legacy, the Stelvio is more than just a vehicle; it’s an experience.
However, like any high-performance machine, the Stelvio demands meticulous care, especially when it comes to its transmission system. The transmission is the heart of the vehicle’s drivetrain, ensuring that power from the engine is efficiently transferred to the wheels.
A well-maintained transmission not only guarantees smooth gear shifts and optimal fuel efficiency but also prolongs the vehicle’s lifespan.
For a car like the Stelvio, which is built to deliver exhilarating driving experiences, ensuring the transmission system’s peak performance is paramount. Regular checks, using the right transmission fluid, and adhering to service intervals are crucial steps every Stelvio owner should prioritize to keep their vehicle running at its best.
2017 – Now Alfa Romeo Stelvio Transmission Fluid Capacity and Type
The Alfa Romeo Stelvio, representing the brand’s foray into the luxury SUV segment, offers a blend of performance, style, and Italian craftsmanship. One of the critical components ensuring its dynamic performance is its transmission system.
For the 1st Generation Stelvio, Alfa Romeo offers two primary transmission variants catering to different driving preferences and needs.
|Transmission||Fluid capacity||Fluid type|
|2.9L 8-speed 8HP75 Automatic||Total Fill 9.5 quarts (9 liters)||ZF LifeGuard Fluid 8|
|2.0L 8-speed 8HP50 Automatic||Total Fill 9.8 quarts (9.3 liters)||ZF LifeGuard Fluid 8|
|6-speed ZF S6-53 manual||2 quarts (1.8 liters)||75W-140 API GL-4 9.55550-MZ8|
1. 6-speed manual transmission (ZF S6-53):
- Engine Compatibility: This transmission is designed for those who prefer a more hands-on and engaging driving experience. While not as common in the U.S. market, manual transmissions are still favored by many driving enthusiasts worldwide.
- Transmission Fluid Type: The recommended fluid for this transmission is 75W-140 API GL-4 (9.55550-MZ8).
- Fluid Capacity: The total fluid capacity for this manual transmission is approximately 1.8 liters.
2. 8-speed automatic transmission (ZF 8HP50/75):
- Engine Compatibility: The 8-speed automatic transmission is tailored for those seeking a blend of convenience and performance. With seamless gear shifts and adaptive driving modes, it offers a smooth and efficient driving experience.
- Transmission Fluid Type: The recommended fluids for this automatic transmission include TUTELA TRANSMISSION AS 8 (9.55550-AV5), ZF LifeGuard Fluid 8, or Mopar 8 & 9 speed ATF.
- Fluid Capacity: The total fluid capacity for this automatic transmission is approximately 9.3 liters.
- ZF Lifeguard Fluid 8 Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 Quart by Sachs. Oil Type: Fluid 8. Volume: 1 Quart. Quantity: 1 Bottle. This product is made of high-quality components to meet and exceed strict quality requirements. Designed using state-of-the-art technology and with customers in mind. It will meet your needs and deliver great quality at an affordable cost.
Transmission Fluid: Why It Matters
Transmission fluid plays an indispensable role in the overall health and efficiency of a vehicle. Often overlooked in favor of engine oil or coolant, this vital fluid serves multiple purposes that are crucial for the smooth operation of the car.
Role of Transmission Fluid in a Vehicle
- Lubrication: At its core, transmission fluid acts as a lubricant for the myriad of moving parts within the transmission system. By reducing friction between these components, it ensures that they operate smoothly without overheating or wearing out prematurely.
- Cooling: The transmission system can generate significant heat, especially during high-speed drives or when towing heavy loads. The fluid helps dissipate this heat, preventing the transmission from overheating and potential damage.
- Transmission of Power: The fluid aids in the hydraulic function of the transmission, facilitating the transfer of power from the engine to the wheels. It ensures that gear shifts are seamless and efficient, allowing for optimal acceleration and performance.
- Protection and Cleaning: Modern transmission fluids come with additives that help protect metal surfaces from wear and tear. They also help in cleaning the system by preventing the buildup of sludge and debris.
Benefits of Using the Right Type and Quantity
- Optimal Performance: Using the specified type of transmission fluid ensures that the vehicle’s transmission operates as intended, providing smooth gear shifts and efficient power transfer.
- Extended Lifespan: The right type and quantity of fluid safeguard the transmission components from excessive wear, potentially extending the lifespan of the transmission system.
- Prevention of Costly Repairs: Using the incorrect type or an inadequate amount of fluid can lead to transmission issues, which can be expensive to fix. Ensuring the right fluid is used can prevent such problems.
- Improved Fuel Efficiency: A well-lubricated transmission system operates more efficiently, which can translate to better fuel economy.
Cost of Transmission Fluid Change for Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Changing the transmission fluid is a crucial maintenance task that ensures the smooth operation and longevity of your vehicle’s transmission system. However, the cost of this service can vary based on several factors. Examining the specifics will help us understand the details better.
Factors Influencing the Cost:
- Labor: The labor cost can vary depending on the service center’s hourly rate. Dealerships might charge a premium due to their specialized knowledge and tools, while local garages might offer competitive rates.
- Fluid Type: The type of transmission fluid used can significantly influence the cost. Premium brands or specialized fluids recommended by Alfa Romeo might be more expensive than generic brands.
- Regional Variations: Depending on your location, the cost of labor and materials can fluctuate. For instance, urban areas with a higher cost of living might have higher service charges than rural areas.
Average Cost Range for Alfa Romeo Stelvio Transmission Fluid Change: While it’s challenging to provide an exact figure without specific regional data, the average cost for a transmission fluid change for luxury vehicles like the Alfa Romeo Stelvio typically ranges from $150 to $350. This range considers both labor and material costs. It’s always a good idea to get quotes from multiple service centers to ensure you’re getting a fair price.
Benefits of Investing in Quality Service:
- Extended Vehicle Lifespan: Regularly changing the transmission fluid using quality products ensures that the transmission system remains in optimal condition, potentially extending its lifespan.
- Improved Performance: Quality service ensures that the transmission fluid is changed thoroughly, leading to smoother gear shifts and better overall vehicle performance.
- Cost Savings: Investing in quality service might seem expensive initially, but it can save money in the long run by preventing potential transmission issues that can be costly to repair.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing that your vehicle has been serviced by professionals using the best products gives you peace of mind, ensuring that your vehicle is in the best possible condition.
Alfa Romeo Transmission Issues
While the Alfa Romeo Stelvio is a testament to Italian engineering and design, like any vehicle, it’s not immune to potential issues. Let’s explore some of the common transmission problems faced by Stelvio owners, the symptoms to be aware of, and recommendations for addressing these concerns.
Common Transmission Problems Faced by Alfa Romeo Stelvio Owners
- Delayed or Harsh Gear Shifts: Some owners have reported experiencing delays when shifting gears or feeling a sudden jolt during the process.
- Transmission Slipping: This involves the transmission unexpectedly changing gears, leading to a noticeable loss of power.
- Unusual Noises: Sounds like grinding or whining when the vehicle is in gear can indicate potential transmission issues.
- Transmission Warning Light: While this light can be triggered by various factors, it often indicates a problem with the transmission system.
Symptoms to Watch Out For
- Difficulty in Shifting Gears: If you notice that your Stelvio is struggling to shift between gears or there’s a delay, it could be a sign of a transmission problem.
- Unusual Vibrations: Any unexpected vibrations or shudders while driving, especially during gear shifts, should be a cause for concern.
- Fluid Leaks: Transmission fluid is vital for the system’s operation. If you spot red or brownish fluid leaks under your vehicle, it might indicate a transmission fluid leak.
- Burning Smell: Overheating transmission fluid can produce a burnt odor. If you detect such a smell, it’s essential to address it immediately.
Recommendations for Addressing These Issues
- Regular Maintenance: Ensure that you follow the recommended service intervals for your Stelvio, especially concerning transmission fluid changes.
- Use Recommended Fluid: Always use the transmission fluid recommended by Alfa Romeo. Using the wrong type can lead to issues.
- Seek Professional Help: If you notice any of the symptoms mentioned above, it’s crucial to consult with a professional mechanic or an Alfa Romeo service center. Early detection and intervention can prevent more severe problems and costly repairs.
- Software Updates: Some transmission issues might be related to the vehicle’s software. Ensure that any available software updates for your Stelvio are installed, as they might address potential transmission problems.
- Avoid Heavy Loads: If your Stelvio isn’t equipped for towing, avoid pulling heavy loads, as this can strain the transmission.
Service Intervals for Alfa Romeo Stelvio’s Transmission
Regular maintenance is the cornerstone of ensuring that a vehicle, especially one as finely crafted as the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, operates at its peak performance and enjoys a prolonged lifespan. One of the most critical aspects of this maintenance is the timely change of transmission fluid.
Importance of Timely Transmission Fluid Changes:
- Optimal Performance: Fresh transmission fluid ensures that the gears shift smoothly and efficiently, providing the driver with a seamless and enjoyable driving experience.
- Protection from Wear: Over time, transmission fluid can degrade and lose its lubricating properties. Regularly changing the fluid ensures that the transmission’s internal components remain well-lubricated, reducing wear and tear.
- Prevention of Overheating: Old or contaminated transmission fluid can lead to increased friction and, consequently, overheating. Fresh fluid helps in dissipating heat effectively.
- Cost Savings: Timely fluid changes can prevent potential transmission issues, which can be expensive to address if left unchecked.
- Maintaining Fluid Integrity: Over time, transmission fluid can get contaminated with dirt, metal shavings, and other debris. Regular changes ensure that the fluid remains clean and effective.
Recommended Service Interval for the 8-speed Automatic Transmission: For the Alfa Romeo Stelvio equipped with the 8-speed automatic transmission, it’s recommended to change the transmission fluid every 40,000 miles. Adhering to this interval ensures that the transmission system remains in optimal condition and reduces the risk of potential issues.
The transmission system is one of the most intricate and vital components of the Alfa Romeo Stelvio. Regularly changing the transmission fluid at the recommended intervals is a small investment that pays off in the form of a well-performing vehicle and peace of mind for the owner.
The information provided in this article is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as professional mechanical advice. While the author has made every effort to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information contained in this article, we make no warranties or representations as to the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or suitability of the information provided.
Any action you take upon the information provided in this article is strictly at your own risk, and we will not be liable for any losses, damages, or injuries incurred as a result of or in connection with the use of this information. It is strongly advised that you consult with a certified BMW mechanic or service center before attempting any maintenance or repair work.
Last update on 2023-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API