If you have ever accidentally locked your keys in the car, you are not alone. Every day, professional locksmiths, roadside assistance companies, and tow-truck operators receive calls from drivers seeking help to re-enter their vehicles. If you want to save time, money, and a lot of hassle, there’s good news! You can do the job yourself with a proper car unlock kit. Also known as auto entry kits, each consists of professional tools that enable you to perform unlock tasks with ease – and without causing adjunct damage to your vehicle.
If you don’t know much about unlocking tools and are in an emergency car lockout situation, it’s best to call a mobile locksmith to come to your aid. However, with a small investment of time and some practice, you too can learn about the different types of tools and how to use them.
Buying a Vehicle Unlock Kit
So you’ve decided to go ahead and invest in a car unlock kit. What you’ll find is a plethora of options, ranging from small non-professional car opening sets to more expansive and expensive multi-piece sets, entry kits for early or late model vehicles, economy car unlock kits, and more. In each case, the most important thing to look for is quality design. You need to trust that the strength and performance level of each product unlocks your car safely and with minimum effort. You don’t have to overspend on a fancy kit, but when it comes to the quality of the tools, do not compromise.
Car Lockout Rules of Thumb
Here are some great tips from the pros regarding vehicle lockout situations:
- In case of vehicle entry problems, it’s best to have a spare key that is kept somewhere safe
- When trying to unlock a locked vehicle without a key, do not use force! If a tool refuses to enter or turn without considerable effort, find another way.
- Remember the adage: Patience is a virtue. It may take some time before it works, especially if you new to these skills
Car Unlock Kit Quality
There are several factors in determining quality unlock tools, and there is likewise a variety of unlock kits to choose from. Essential kits come with a minimum of the tools necessary for unlocking a unit, eg. a long reach grabber and air pump wedge. Professional kits have more tools in a number of sizes in order to suit the varying nature of jobs.
Quality is determined primarily by the material with which the tools are made. Top-of-the-line products are comprised of quality steel. Tools made from lighter, cheaper, more flimsy materials bend easily under pressure and are difficult to work with. Additional qualities to look for are a good grip and length of reach so that you can reach deep enough inside the lock or doorknob to get the job done.
Types of Vehicle Entry Tools:
- The primary auto-unlock devices are long reach tools (aka long arm) and wedge lockout tools, which are used together to pry open a car, van, or truck door and unlock it. In a nutshell, here is how it works: The long reach is a thin, long device inserted in the door’s slight opening and must be sufficiently long to reach the lock inside. However, you first need to use the air wedge pump to make a small opening through the door.
- To prevent scratches or peeled off paint, ensure that the wedge pump is made from quality TPU material and has an air pump with enough power to bear the weight of the door.
- Non-Marring Wedges: Once you have made a slight entry point for the long reach tool, non-marring wedges can be inserted inside the space so that it remains open, allowing you to comfortably work your way through.
- Knob Grabber: Used in combination with the long-reach tool to grab the lock or knob more easily. Is in the shape of a loop and is used to hook into the lock.
- Slim Jims are classic tools for opening locks without a key, however, keep in mind that they are unable to open newer model vehicles that come with internal defenses such as lock cylinders and barrier blocks.
Vehicle Unlock Kit Recommendations
There are many kits available on Amazon but it’s not easy to know which one to buy. Here’s a brief overview of some of the more reputable manufacturers and products available today:
- The AGPTEX Full Professional Kit provides a diversity of tools made of high-quality material that cover everything needed for the gamut of unlocking situations. Tools come in an easy-to-carry storage bag. In addition to a long reach grabber, the kit contains two air wedge bags in different sizes and five non-marring wedges, enabling the opening of massive and complicated doors. Also included is a bag of assorted nuts and skewers that can be used for a range of fix-it-yourself problems.
- UNTUE Car Kit with Long Reach Grabber: Features all the essential tools necessary for unlocking vehicles safely, yet the kit can be used for many other purposes as well, such as opening windows and home doors. Tools can also be used as a makeshift pry bar set for opening locked wooden crates. Includes a complete money-back guarantee.
- Kit by Now Rabbit Full Professional Kit features an extra-long, easy-entry long reach grabber, two high-grade air wedge pumps, an additional grabber tool, and more. Comes in a convenient easy-to-carry case. Its 72″ long tools allow for keyless entry into not only cars but trucks, vans, and buses.
How to Use Your New Car Unlock Kit
Although the process can vary somewhat per vehicle or lock, the nuts and bolts of using an air wedge pump with a long-reach grabber are the same. Here are some steps to follow:
- Using minimum effort, insert a wedge pump inside the edge of the car door, taking care not to chip off any paint. Once slightly inserted, you can pump air so that the door opens up a little more for the non-marring wedges.
- Use your marring wedges to keep the door open.
- Slowly insert the long-reach grabber inside, making sure not to apply much force, which can damage the rubber sealing around the door. Tool should enter smoothly.
- Once inside, reach for the car knob or lock. Remember that patience is required and it may take you several minutes until you have more experience.
- When the long-reach grabber reaches the lock, push it outwards. You should then be able to easily open the door.