Disclosure: we may earn a small commission from the companies mentioned in this post via affiliate links to products. This doesn't make any additional cost to you. All products are selected independently.
Manufacture of KA24, an alternative to Z24, was launched in 1988. Its first modification, KA24E, is a four-cylinder inline engine with a cast-iron cylinder block, having a cylinder diameter of 89 millimeters. The forged crankshaft features a piston stroke of 96 millimeters plus forged connecting rods of 165 millimeters.
It gained aluminum cylinder head featuring single overhead camshaft plus two intake and one exhaust valves for each cylinder. The diameter of intake valves is 34 millimeters plus exhaust valves are 40 millimeters. Camshafts have duration 240/248 degrees, lift 10.38/10.38 millimeters. Maximum rpm equals to 6,500.
KA24E SUVs modification keeps camshaft with duration 232/232 degrees and lifts 9.7/9.7 millimeters, having maximum rpm of 6,000.
Starting from 1991, the engine was supplied with a double overhead camshaft and four valves for every cylinder. With 36.6 millimetres intake valves plus 31.3 millimeteкs exhaust valves, the motor was named KA24DE. Unlike KA24E, this one features restyled oil pan and oil jets, modernized pistons, and a crankshaft with a 9.5 compression index. The compression rate for SUVs was lowered to 9.2/9.3.
Before 1994, camshafts had a duration of 240/248 degrees and lifted 8.9/9.32 millimetres, leading to a maximum rpm of 6,900. In 1995, Nissan 240SX S14 gained camshafts with a period of 232/232 degrees and lifted 8.73/9.06 millimeteкs. Later that year, after intake manifold restyling, revs maximum descended to 6,400 rpm.
Other manufacturers utilized camshafts with 240/248 duration till 1997, when intake camshafts with 232 degrees duration replaced them. Engine’s stock injectors are 270 cc.
KA24DE for SUVs and big vehicles featured long length intake manifold and camshafts, constructed for low and mid revs. The maximum rpm was 6,100.
Having no hydraulic lifters, this motor requires regular valves adjustment. The cold engine has intake and exhaust valves clearance of 0.28-0.36 millimetres.
The timing chain must be replaced after a 180,000-200,000 miles (300,000 kilometers) run. Engine firing order is 1-3-4-2.
In 2004, KA24DE production stopped due to the release of more advanced 2.5L QR25DE.
The breakdown of the engine code is as follows:
- KA – Engine Family
- 24 – 2.4 Liter Displacement
- D – DOHC (dual overhead camshafts)
- E – Multi-Point Fuel Injection
|Also called||Nissan KA24|
|Cylinder block alloy||Cast-iron|
Four valves per cylinder
Three valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||96 (3.78)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||89 (3.50)|
|Compression ratio||8.6 (SOHC)
|Displacement||2389 cc (145.8 cu in)|
|Power output||99 kW (134 HP) at 5,200 rpm
103 kW (140 HP) at 5,600 rpm
105 kW (143 HP) at 4,300 rpm
110 kW (150 HP) at 5,600 rpm
114 kW (155 HP) at 5,400 rpm
|Torque output||209 Nm (154 lb·ft) at 3,600 rpm
206 Nm (152 lb·ft) at 4,400 rpm
208 Nm (153 lb·ft) at 4,000 rpm
208 Nm (153 lb·ft) at 3,600 rpm
217 Nm (160 lb·ft) at 4,400 rpm
|HP per liter||56.1
|Engine Weight, kg (lbs)||167 (370)|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|Oil consumption, L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 0.5
(1 qt. per 1200 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||4.1 (4.3)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||5,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||–|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
What cars have a KA24DE engine?
- 2000-2004 Nissan Xterra
- 1998-2008 Nissan Navara/Frontier (D22)
- 1991-1998 Nissan 240SX
- 1997-2000 Nissan R’nessa (4WD model, Japan)
- 1998-2001 Nissan Presage U30 (Japan)
- 1999-2001 Nissan Bassara U30 (Japan)
- 1993-1997 Nissan Bluebird U13
- Isuzu COMO (Japanese: Isuzu COMO)
- Nissan Largo
Is KA24DE an interference engine?
All the KA’s are interference.
On an interference motor the valve will move down and occupy the same space that the piston does when it is at the top dead center. Of course, they don’t hit because we all have our timing set properly and the crank moves the piston out of the way
On a non-interference motor, the valves will not hit the piston no matter where you set the cam.
KA24DE Camshaft Torque Specs
Evenly tighten 1/2 turn at a time on each bolt until all of the caps are snug (1.4 ft-lb and again to 4.3 ft-lb). Then final torque the bolts from the center bolts outward to 6.7 to 8.7 ft-lb. Always use a 26 m.m. or 1” wrench on the cam hex to back up your torque wrench (never use the chain for resistance)! Torque the cam sprocket bolts to 123 to 130 ft-lb. More info is at the source
- Brian Crower high performance camshafts are ground on state-of-the-art CNC cam grinders to insure accuracy and tolerances to within
- By grinding cores in high volume, Brian Crower is able to pass the cost savings on to the end user
- Every Brian Crower Camshaft profile has been prototyped and dyno tested for proven horsepower results prior to placed into mass production
KA24DE Engine Problems and Reliability
Having great endurance and reliability, KA24DE doesn’t demand any special care. It’s advised to maintain it periodically and buy only high-class engine oil. Oil pressure on front-wheel-drive cars can decrease if to press the oil pan slightly. In this instance, it’s necessary to remove the oil pan to examine the condition of an oil receiver pick-up pipe.
By buying engine oil of lousy quality, you can cause motor malfunction and reduce its lifespan. When the timing chain begins to work too noisy, the process of motor destruction has already started.
Besides, this motor consumes a lot of fuel. But in total, KA24 is a secure and durable motor.
KA24DE Engine Rebuild
KA24DE Engine Parts
If you need replacement parts for your KA24 engine, then you can buy them on Amazon. Buying these products through our links we may be paid a small commission.
KA24 Engine For Sale
- Each engine we remanufacture is essentially reverse engineered - in part to discover original factory deficiencies. If possible, our seasoned R&D personnel and QC experts make improvements. Why shouldn't our engine last longer than your first?
- Engines come with installation gasket set and oil pump unless noted otherwise. If we have important installation information it will be included on tags or in the paperwork packaged with your engine.
- Engines are securely packaged in a recyclable container that will also protect your core on the return trip. Our nationwide warehouse network means speedy delivery.
- Each engine is remanufactured with quality OE level components not "white" box generic parts that may or may not satisfy your needs and expectations. When you use the best you get the best results and satisfaction.
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API