In the realm of luxury sports coupes, the Lexus RC F stands out as a beacon of Japanese engineering prowess. Since its debut, it has successfully combined the refined elegance Lexus is renowned for with raw performance that challenges even the most established European brands.
The RC F is not just another luxury coupe; it’s a statement that showcases Lexus’s commitment to delivering thrilling driving experiences without compromising on comfort and luxury.
The car’s seamless merging of power with sophistication has made it a favored choice for those who desire both the roar of an aggressive engine and the serenity of a plush interior.
However, beneath its sculpted bonnet and behind its spindle grille lies an intricate assembly of components, each playing its part to deliver that signature RC F experience. Among these components, the transmission system often deemed the heart of any vehicle’s performance, is central.
To understand the RC F’s outstanding performance, one must delve deeper into the mechanics and recognize the importance of transmission fluid. This seemingly inconspicuous liquid plays a pivotal role in ensuring that the power from the engine is seamlessly transferred to the wheels. But it’s more than just a conduit for power.
The fluid lubricates, cools, and protects the intricate gears within the transmission, preventing wear and tear, and ensuring smooth gear shifts.
Just as our body requires blood to function efficiently, the RC F’s transmission demands the right fluid to operate at its peak. Using the appropriate type and ensuring it’s maintained at the optimal level is crucial.
Neglecting this essential aspect can result in compromised performance, reduced fuel efficiency, and, in worst-case scenarios, significant damage that can be costly to repair.
2015-Now Lexus RC F Transmission Fluid Capacity And Transmission Fluid Type
- Total Fill: 11.8 qt (11.2 L)
- Initial Fill: 3.9 qt (3.7 L)
- ATF WS (Automatic Transmission Fluid, World Standard)
Steps to Check and Replace Transmission Fluid
Procedure to Accurately Assess Fluid Levels and Quality:
- Park the car on a level surface and apply the parking brake.
- Start the engine and allow it to warm up to normal operating temperature.
- Shift through all the gears and then place the car in Park.
- With the engine running, remove the transmission dipstick, wipe it clean, and re-insert it fully.
- Remove it again and check the fluid level, which should be between the ‘FULL’ and ‘LOW’ marks on the dipstick.
- Observe the color of the fluid: A red or light brown color is normal, whereas a dark brown or black color indicates the fluid needs replacing.
Guidelines for Safely Draining and Refilling the Transmission Fluid:
- Lift the car safely using a jack and secure it with jack stands.
- Place a drain pan under the transmission drain plug and remove the plug to drain the old fluid.
- Replace the drain plug gasket and re-install the plug once the fluid has drained completely.
- Remove the transmission fill plug and add the new transmission fluid through this opening using a funnel.
- Replace the fill plug once the appropriate amount of fluid has been added, as per your Lexus’s specifications.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of transmission fluid?
It is strongly recommended to use the specified ATF WS for the Lexus RC F to ensure optimal performance and longevity.
How often should I change the transmission fluid in my Lexus RC F?
Refer to your Lexus owner manual, but a common interval is every 60,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.
The Paramount Importance of Using the Right Transmission Fluid and Adhering to Maintenance Schedules
Your Lexus RC F is an intricate, high-performance machine that relies heavily on every component working in perfect harmony. Central to this is the transmission system and the fluid that keeps it operating smoothly.
As we have outlined, it’s not just about having fluid in the system; it’s about having the right fluid, at the right level, and in the right condition.
Regular checks and adherence to a proper maintenance schedule will ensure that your RC F continues to deliver the exhilarating drive that it was designed for, mile after mile.
The information provided in this article is for general informational purposes only. The author and publisher make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness of any information presented. The reader is advised to consult a qualified professional, such as a mechanic or dealership, before making any decisions related to their vehicle's engine oil or maintenance.