The Infiniti G37, produced by Nissan’s luxury division Infiniti, is a compact executive car that was introduced to the market in 2007. The G37 replaced the G35 and was noted for its balanced blend of comfort and performance, underpinned by a potent 3.7-liter V6 engine that provided both brisk acceleration and respectable fuel efficiency.
Offering both sedan and coupe variants, the G37 successfully served as a strong competitor in the luxury vehicle market segment until it was replaced by the Infiniti Q50 in 2013.
Transmission fluid serves a crucial role in maintaining and optimizing the performance of a vehicle. Its primary functions are to lubricate internal components, aid in gear shifts, keep the system cool, and keep seals supple. The type of transmission fluid used and the intervals at which it is changed can have a significant impact on the transmission’s lifespan.
Ignoring transmission fluid needs can lead to decreased performance, overheating, and eventually complete transmission failure, leading to expensive repair or replacement costs. Thus, understanding the specifications for your Infiniti G37’s transmission fluid type, capacity, and change intervals is a critical aspect of vehicle maintenance.
2008-2013 Infiniti G37 Transmission Fluid Capacity And Transmission Fluid Type
The Infiniti G37, existing only in its first generation, was manufactured from 2008 to 2013. The model range encompassed a variety of body styles, including coupes, convertibles, and sedans, providing luxury car consumers with an assortment of choices to fit their preferences.
The G37 boasted a robust powertrain, with the prime mover being a 3.7-liter V6 engine (hence the “37” in the model name). This engine was mated with different types of transmissions over the years, allowing for varied driving experiences.
The G37 utilized both manual and automatic transmissions, depending on the specific model and year. The automatic transmission was a 7-speed with manual shift mode, downshift rev-matching, and adaptive shift control, offering smooth, responsive shifts. The manual transmission, available in some models, was a close-ratio 6-speed unit providing an engaging driving experience for those who prefer to take more control.
The transmission fluid capacity of your Infiniti G37 will depend on the specific model and transmission type you have. That being said, here are the general guidelines:
- Automatic Transmission: For the G37 models equipped with the 7-speed automatic transmission, the total transmission fluid capacity is approximately 9.7 quarts (9.2 liters).
- Manual Transmission: The G37 models equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission have a total fluid capacity of approximately 3 quarts (2.8 liters, 5.9 pints).
It’s important to note that these are the total capacities. If you’re doing a drain and refill, the amount of fluid that drains out might be less due to some fluid remaining in the transmission and torque converter. Consequently, always check your fluid level after refilling and adjusting it as necessary to ensure it’s at the appropriate level.
The type of fluid you use is extremely important, and it’s always best to stick with the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Automatic Transmission: The manufacturer recommends Nissan Matic-S ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) for the 7-speed automatic transmission. It’s designed to offer smooth shifting even under severe operating conditions.
- Manual Transmission: For the 6-speed manual transmission, the manufacturer recommends using GL-4 Nissan Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) HQ Multi 75W-85 or an equivalent.
While it’s always best to stick to the manufacturer’s recommendation, there may be situations where you need an alternative. It’s crucial to ensure that any alternative fluid you use meets the same specifications as the recommended fluid.
Automatic Transmission: An alternative to Nissan Matic-S ATF could be Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid. This fluid is designed to be compatible with a wide range of vehicles and provides excellent anti-wear protection.
- FOR USE IN 95% of ATF VEHICLES INCLUDING MOST CVTs in operation with US registered light duty applications
- HIGH PERFORMANCE CONDITIONING AGENTS prolong seal elasticity to prevent leaks
- IMPROVE DURABILITY & TRANSMISSION LIFE with anti-wear technology to avoid costly repairs
- ENHANCED HIGH & LOW TEMP PERFORMANCE supports transmission fluid in all weather situations
Manual Transmission: A potential alternative to Nissan’s MTF is the Red Line 50304 MT-90 75W-90 GL-4 Manual Transmission Fluid. This is a full synthetic product that provides excellent protection and smoother shifting.
- Provides High performance gear protection and longer synchro life
- Offers quicker shifts, perfect synchronizer coefficient of friction and eliminates notchy shifting, even when cold
- Recommended for GL-1, GL-3 and GL-4 applications, as well as where most special synchromesh fluids are specified. Safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage
- Excellent for high- and low-mile transmissions and compatible with petroleums and other synthetics
Remember, these are just potential alternatives. It’s essential to check the compatibility of any alternative transmission fluid with your specific vehicle before use. Always refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual or consult with a professional if you’re uncertain.
Infiniti G37 Transmission Fluid Change Intervals
The manufacturer’s recommendation for changing the transmission fluid in your Infiniti G37 varies based on driving conditions and habits.
- Automatic Transmission: Infiniti recommends changing the automatic transmission fluid every 60,000 miles under normal driving conditions. However, if you regularly drive in stop-and-go traffic, on short trips, in hilly or mountainous areas, or tow heavy loads, you should consider changing the fluid every 30,000 miles.
- Manual Transmission: For manual transmission, the recommended change interval is every 30,000 miles, irrespective of driving conditions.
Factors Affecting Change Intervals
Several factors can affect the optimal transmission fluid change intervals:
- Driving Habits: If you often accelerate hard, tow heavy loads, or do a lot of stop-and-go driving, this can put additional strain on the transmission, which may require more frequent fluid changes.
- Driving Conditions: Driving in extreme temperatures, either hot or cold, or in hilly or mountainous areas can also accelerate the degradation of transmission fluid.
- Type of Fluid: Higher quality fluids typically last longer and provide better protection for your transmission.
- Transmission Wear: As transmissions age, components may wear down and cause metal shavings to mix with the fluid. This can require more frequent fluid changes.
Remember, regular maintenance, including checking and changing your transmission fluid as needed, is the key to prolonging the life of your transmission and maintaining the performance of your Infiniti G37.
Infiniti G37 Cost of Transmission Fluid Change
The cost of changing the transmission fluid in an Infiniti G37 can range from around $250 to $300. This includes both the cost of the transmission fluid itself, which can range from $20 to $50 per quart, and the labor costs, which can vary depending on the mechanic’s rates.
Factors Influencing the Cost
There are a number of factors that can influence the final cost of a transmission fluid change:
- Labor Rates: The cost of labor can vary significantly depending on the mechanic or service center you choose. Dealerships tend to have higher labor rates than independent mechanics.
- Transmission Fluid Type: The type of transmission fluid used can also influence the cost. Premium, fully synthetic transmission fluids generally cost more than conventional fluids, but they can also offer superior protection and longevity.
- Transmission Type: Manual transmissions usually require less fluid than automatic transmissions, which can influence the cost of the fluid change.
- Geographic Location: Prices for both labor and parts can vary depending on the region of the country. Costs are often higher in larger cities compared to smaller towns or rural areas.
Remember, while cost is a factor, it’s important to not let price alone dictate your decision. Changing your transmission fluid is a critical part of maintaining your vehicle’s performance and longevity, and it’s worth investing in quality service and fluids.
In conclusion, the Infiniti G37, being a remarkable blend of performance and luxury, requires keen attention to its transmission fluid needs. The G37 (2008-2013) utilizes around 9.7 quarts of automatic transmission fluid, with the manufacturer recommending the use of Nissan Matic S or compatible alternatives.
The transmission fluid change intervals can vary based on driving habits, but a good rule of thumb is to have it checked every 30,000 miles. The cost of changing the transmission fluid can range from around $250 to $300, influenced by several factors like labor rates, fluid type, transmission type, and location.
While the specific information on fluid capacity and type is important, the overarching theme of this article is the importance of regular maintenance. Changing your Infiniti G37’s transmission fluid as recommended by the manufacturer is a critical part of vehicle upkeep.
Regular transmission maintenance ensures the vehicle’s performance, and longevity, and can help prevent potentially expensive repairs down the road.
Stay on top of your vehicle’s needs and it will serve you well for many miles to come. Remember, taking care of your car is not just about maintaining its functionality—it’s also about preserving its value over time.
The information provided in this article is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as professional mechanical advice. While the author has made every effort to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information in this article, we make no warranties or representations as to the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or suitability of the information provided.
Engineswork.com participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Last update on 2024-02-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API