If you own a 2013 Mazda 2, it’s essential to understand the correct oil type to use to ensure optimum performance and fuel economy.
Recommended Oil Type for 2013 Mazda 2
According to the owner’s manual, the recommended oil type for your 2013 Mazda 2 is 0W-20 full synthetic. Mazda Genuine Oil is the suggested 0W-20 lubricant, as it is specifically formulated for Mazda vehicles and is required for optimum fuel economy. Ensure your chosen oil has the American Petroleum Institute (API) symbol and ILSAC GF-4/GF-5 certification.
This means it conforms to current engine and emission system protection standards and the fuel economy requirements set by the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC).
What Oil Does a Mazda 2 Skyactiv Take?
The Mazda 2 Skyactiv also requires 0W-20 full synthetic oil, like the non-Skyactiv Mazda 2. The Mazda Genuine Oil is recommended for optimum performance and fuel efficiency. Remember to look for the API symbol and ILSAC GF-4/GF-5 certification when choosing oil for your Mazda 2 Skyactiv.
When replacing the oil filter, the 2013 Mazda 2 requires an oil capacity of 3.9 L (4.1 US qt, 3.4 Imp qt).
Best Motor Oil For 2013 Mazda 2
While Mazda Genuine Oil is the preferred choice, other reputable motor oil brands can also provide the necessary performance and protection for your 2013 Mazda 2. Some of the best alternatives include:
- 3X stronger against viscosity breakdown than leading full synthetic, based on Kurt Orbahn test in 5W-30 grade
- 10X better high temperature performance, as measured in Sequence IIIH engine test vs. API SP test limit
- 6X better wear protection, Protection for 10,000 miles between oil changes
- 1.4X better sludge protection, as measured in Sequence VH engine test vs. API SP test limit
- Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy full-synthetic motor oil 0W-20 is low-viscosity to help improve fuel economy.*
- Utilizes Mobil 1’s signature Triple Action Formula to deliver outstanding engine performance, protection, and cleanliness
- Helps protect critical engine parts for up to 10,000 miles between oil changesm,** controlling oxidation to prevent oil breakdown and maintaining excellent viscosity
- Meets ILSAC GF-6 standards to help provide low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear protection while keeping your engine clean
- ADVANCED PROTECTION AGAINST the four main causes of engine breakdown: wear friction heat and deposits
- 40% BETTER WEAR PROTECTION vs. industry standard as tested in the Sequence IVB engine test
- 25% BETTER DEPOSIT PROTECTION with superior engine cleaning detergents as tested in the GMOD engine test
- EXCEPTIONAL HIGH/LOW TEMPERATURE PROTECTION defends your motor no matter the weather conditions
- Full synthetic 0W-20 engine oil made from made from natural gas, not crude, using Pennzoil’s patented gas-to-liquid PurePlus Technology
- Pennzoil 0W-20 is a carbon neutral motor oil, achieved through verified Nature Based Carbon Credits that offset the CO2 lifecycle emissions
- Provides better fuel economy—drive on average an extra 550 miles per year (versus a dirty engine)
- Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 keeps pistons up to 45% cleaner than the toughest industry standard (based on Sequence IIIH results)
Best Engine Oil Filter For Mazda 2
A high-quality engine oil filter is crucial for maintaining engine health and prolonging the life of your Mazda 2. Some of the best engine oil filters for your Mazda 2 include:
- Mazda Genuine Oil Filter (PE01-14-302A)
- Bosch Premium FILTECH Oil Filter
- Fram Ultra Synthetic XG6607 Oil
- Filter 4. WIX Filters – 57002XP Xp Spin-On Lube Filter
- K&N Premium Oil Filter: Designed to Protect your Engine.
Can I Use 5W-30 Instead of 0W-20?
While it’s generally best to follow the manufacturer’s recommendation of 0W-20 oil for your 2013 Mazda 2, using 5W-30 oil will not cause significant harm to your engine. However, it may decrease fuel efficiency and affect the engine’s long-term performance. Sticking the recommended 0W-20 oil is always best to maintain optimum performance and fuel economy.
In summary, the recommended oil type for your 2013 Mazda 2 is 0W-20 full synthetic, with Mazda Genuine Oil being the preferred choice. Using oil with the API symbol and ILSAC GF-4/GF-5 certification is crucial to ensure optimal engine protection and fuel economy. While 5W-30 oil can be used, it’s best to stick to the manufacturer’s recommendation to maintain peak performance.
For the Mazda 2 Skyactiv, the same 0W-20 full synthetic oil is required, and there are several high-quality alternatives to Mazda Genuine Oil, including Castrol EDGE, Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Pennzoil Platinum. Pairing your oil with a high-quality engine oil filter, such as the Mazda Genuine Oil Filter or options from Bosch, Fram, WIX, or K&N, will help ensure your Mazda 2’s engine stays in top shape for years to come.
Was this helpful?
The information provided in this article is for general informational purposes only. The author and publisher make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness of any information presented. The reader is advised to consult a qualified professional, such as a mechanic or dealership, before making any decisions related to their vehicle's engine oil or maintenance.
Last update on 2023-06-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API