The 2015 Acura TLX is a high-performance luxury sedan that requires regular maintenance to keep it running smoothly. One of the most critical aspects of maintaining the car’s performance and longevity is changing the engine oil and oil filter regularly.
This article will discuss the importance of changing the engine oil and oil filter, the recommended oil type, and the step-by-step process for changing the oil and filter in a 2015 Acura TLX.
What Oil Does Acura TLX 2015 Take?
The 2015 Acura TLX requires high-quality oil that meets specific viscosity and API certification requirements to ensure optimal performance and longevity. The owner’s manual recommends the following oil capacities for the 2015 Acura TLX:
- 4-cylinder models 2.4L – 4.4 US qt (4.2 L);
- 6-cylinder models 3.5L – 4.5 US qt (4.3 L).
The recommended oil type for the 2015 Acura TLX is a premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil that meets the latest API Certification Seal requirements. Synthetic oil is also an option if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and the specified viscosity grade.
The recommended oil type for the 2015 Acura TLX is designed to provide maximum engine protection, improve fuel efficiency, and reduce emissions. Using the recommended oil type is essential to avoid engine damage and ensure optimal performance.
How to Change the Engine Oil and Oil Filter in a 2015 Acura TLX
2015 Acura TLX oil change Guide
Changing the engine oil and oil filter in a 2015 Acura TLX is a relatively simple process that can be completed with a few basic tools. Here are the step-by-step instructions for changing the oil and oil filter in a 2015 Acura TLX:
Steps to configure the How-to Schema:
Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature, then turn it off.
Open the hood and remove the engine oil fill cap.
Position the drain pan under the oil drain bolt located on the bottom of the engine.
Use a ratchet wrench to loosen and remove the drain bolt and washer from the engine. Allow the oil to drain into the pan until it stops flowing.
Remove the oil filter using an oil filter wrench and dispose of it properly. Check that the filter gasket is not stuck to the engine contact surface. If it is stuck, detach it. Wipe away dirt and dust adhering to the contact surface of the engine block.
Apply a light coat of new engine oil to the oil filter’s rubber seal and install the new oil filter. Put a new washer on the drain bolt, then reinstall the drain bolt. Tighten the bolt to a torque of 30 lbf∙ft (40 N∙m, 4.0 kgf∙m).
Use a funnel to pour the recommended engine oil into the engine. The engine oil capacity is 4.4 US qt (4.2 L) for 4-cylinder models and 4.5 US qt (4.3 L) for 6-cylinder models.
Reinstall the engine oil fill cap securely and start the engine. Run the engine for a few minutes, then check for leaks from the drain bolt or oil filter. Stop the engine, wait for three minutes, and then check the oil level on the dipstick. If necessary, add more engine oil.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Changing the Engine Oil and Oil Filter
Changing the engine oil and oil filter in a 2015 Acura TLX is a relatively simple process, but it’s essential to avoid common mistakes that could lead to engine damage or poor performance. Here are some common mistakes to avoid when changing the engine oil and oil filter:
- Overfilling the oil: Adding too much oil to the engine can cause foaming and reduce the oil’s ability to lubricate the engine components properly. Be sure to check the oil level on the dipstick after adding new oil to ensure that it is within the recommended range.
- Not checking the oil level: Failing to check the oil level on the dipstick after changing the oil and filter can lead to low oil levels and engine damage. Be sure to check the oil level after changing the oil and before driving the vehicle.
- Using the wrong oil type: Using the wrong oil type, viscosity, or API certification can cause engine damage and reduce performance. Be sure to use the recommended oil type, viscosity, and API certification as specified in the owner’s manual.
- Not tightening the drain bolt or oil filter: Failing to tighten the drain bolt or oil filter properly can lead to leaks and engine damage. Be sure to tighten both the drain bolt and oil filter to the recommended torque specifications.
- Not disposing of the old oil and filter properly: Improperly disposing of old oil and filters can harm the environment and is illegal in some areas. Be sure to dispose of old oil and filters at an approved recycling center or automotive service facility.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can ensure that the engine oil and oil filter are changed correctly and maintain the engine’s performance and longevity.
Checking the Engine Oil Level
Checking the engine oil level is a crucial step in maintaining the performance and longevity of your 2015 Acura TLX. It’s essential to check the engine oil level regularly to ensure that it is within the recommended range. Here are the instructions for checking the engine oil level in a 2015 Acura TLX:
Recommended frequency for checking the oil:
- We recommend checking the engine oil level every time you refuel or at least once a month.
Instructions for checking the engine oil level:
- Park the vehicle on a level surface and turn off the engine.
- Wait at least three minutes to allow the oil to settle in the oil pan.
- Open the hood and locate the engine oil dipstick, which is usually marked with a bright color, such as orange or yellow.
- Pull the dipstick out of the engine and wipe it clean with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Reinsert the dipstick all the way back into its hole and then pull it out again.
- Look at the oil level on the dipstick. The oil level should be between the low and full marks on the dipstick.
- If the oil level is below the low mark, add the recommended engine oil until it reaches the full mark. Do not overfill the engine with oil.
Checking the engine oil level regularly is essential to ensure that the engine is properly lubricated and protected. By following these instructions, you can easily check the engine oil level in your 2015 Acura TLX and maintain its optimal performance.
Recommended Engine Oil for the 2015 Acura TLX
Using the recommended engine oil for the 2015 Acura TLX is crucial to maintaining the engine’s performance and longevity. Here are some reasons why it’s important to use the recommended engine oil:
- Engine protection: The recommended engine oil provides maximum protection against wear, deposits, and sludge. Using the wrong oil type or viscosity grade can cause engine damage and reduce performance.
- Fuel efficiency: The recommended engine oil is formulated to improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions. Using the wrong oil type or viscosity grade can increase fuel consumption and emissions.
- Longevity: The recommended engine oil is designed to provide long-lasting engine protection and help extend the engine’s life. Using the wrong oil type or viscosity grade can lead to premature engine failure or reduce the engine’s lifespan.
Using synthetic oil instead of conventional oil has some additional benefits, such as:
- Better performance in extreme temperatures: Synthetic oil performs better than conventional oil in extreme temperatures, such as hot summers or cold winters.
- Longer oil change intervals: Synthetic oil can last longer than conventional oil, which means you can go longer between oil changes.
The recommended viscosity grades for the 2015 Acura TLX are 0W-20 and 5W-30. The viscosity grade indicates the oil’s thickness and its ability to flow at different temperatures. The 0W-20 oil is recommended for better fuel efficiency and improved cold-weather starting, while the 5W-30 oil is recommended for better engine protection in high-temperature conditions.
In summary, using the recommended engine oil, viscosity grade, and API certification is crucial for maintaining the engine’s performance and longevity in a 2015 Acura TLX. Using synthetic oil can provide additional benefits, such as better performance in extreme temperatures and longer oil change intervals.
In conclusion, changing the engine oil and oil filter regularly and using the recommended engine oil type, viscosity, and API certification are crucial for maintaining the performance and longevity of a 2015 Acura TLX.
It’s important to follow the recommended oil change frequency and avoid common mistakes, such as overfilling the oil, not checking the oil level, using the wrong oil type, or not disposing of the old oil and filter properly.
Additionally, engine oil additives are unnecessary and can harm the engine’s performance and durability. By following these guidelines, car owners can ensure that their 2015 Acura TLX’s engine is properly lubricated and protected, providing optimal performance and longevity.
The information provided in this article is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as professional mechanical advice. While the author has made every effort to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information in this article, we make no warranties or representations as to the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or suitability of the information provided.
Engineswork.com participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.