- Fuel Economy: The Kona offers up to 30/35 mpg (city/highway), while the Crosstrek achieves up to 27/34 mpg. The Kona’s fuel economy is slightly better.
- Cargo Space: The Crosstrek provides more cargo volume with seats up and slightly more room than the Kona.
- Ground Clearance: All models of the Crosstrek come with all-wheel drive and 8.7 inches of ground clearance, while the Kona has a ground clearance of 6.7 inches and all-wheel drive available only on certain models.
- Price: The Crosstrek is slightly more expensive, with a starting MSRP of $25,195, compared to the Kona starting MSRP of $24,100.
- Performance: The Kona has a little less horsepower and much lower torque than the Crosstrek.
The Kona offers better fuel economy, while the Crosstrek provides more cargo space and higher ground clearance. The choice between the two may depend on specific priorities such as fuel efficiency, cargo capacity, and price.
Comparing Power, Handling, and MPG in the 2024 Hyundai Kona vs. Subaru Crosstrek
Choosing between the 2024 Hyundai Kona and Subaru Crosstrek can be a tough call, especially when it comes to performance. Both subcompact SUVs offer distinct powertrains, handling characteristics, and fuel efficiency figures. Let’s dive under the hood and compare these key aspects to help you make an informed decision.
- Base 2.0L 4-cylinder engine with 147 horsepower and 132 lb-ft of torque (SE and SEL trims)
- Turbocharged 1.6L 4-cylinder engine with 195 horsepower and 195 lb-ft of torque (N Line and Limited trims)
- Available in both front-wheel drive (FWD) and all-wheel drive (AWD) configurations
- Base 2.0L 4-cylinder engine with 152 horsepower and 145 lb-ft of torque (Base, Premium, and Sport trims)
- Upgraded 2.5L 4-cylinder engine with 182 horsepower and 176 lb-ft of torque (Limited and Wilderness trims)
- Standard all-wheel drive (AWD) on all trims
- Offers a sportier and more engaging driving experience, especially with the N Line trim.
- Sharper handling with quicker steering response.
- Firmer ride compared to the Crosstrek.
- Prioritizes comfort and stability with a smooth and composed ride.
- Excellent handling in off-road conditions, especially with the Wilderness trim.
- Slightly slower steering response compared to the Kona.
- EPA estimates for the 2.0L engine range from 28-33 mpg combined (FWD) and 25-30 mpg combined (AWD).
- Turbocharged 1.6L engine gets 25-28 mpg combined (FWD) and 23-27 mpg combined (AWD).
- Real-world MPG figures tend to be slightly lower than EPA estimates.
- EPA estimates for the 2.0L engine range from 28-34 mpg combined.
- The 2.5L engine gets 27-32 mpg combined.
- Real-world MPG figures generally stay close to EPA estimates.
Choosing the best performer depends on your priorities. If you prefer a sporty and engaging drive, the Kona, especially the N Line trim, might be your choice. But if you prioritize comfort, off-road capability, and consistent fuel efficiency, the Crosstrek might be a better match.
Ultimately, taking both cars for a test drive will help you decide which one feels more comfortable and suits your driving style.
- Transmission options: Both cars offer automatic transmissions, while the Kona offers a dual-clutch transmission for the turbocharged engine.
- Acceleration: The turbocharged Kona offers quicker acceleration than the Crosstrek, especially from a stop.
- Towing capacity: The Crosstrek has a higher towing capacity (2,000 lbs) than the Kona (1,650 lbs for FWD, 2,800 lbs for AWD).
Comparing Comfort and Tech in the 2024 Hyundai Kona vs. Subaru Crosstrek
The interior is your second home, so finding a cabin that offers comfort, functionality, and tech that keeps you connected is crucial.
Space & Seating
- More spacious than ever, thanks to its increased size compared to previous models.
- Offers ample headroom and legroom for front passengers, but rear legroom can be tight for taller individuals.
- Comfortable cloth seats, with leather upgrades available in higher trims.
- Known for its roomy and versatile interior, offering generous headroom and legroom for all passengers.
- Rear seats slide, allowing you to prioritize passenger comfort or cargo space.
- Standard water-resistant upholstery, ideal for outdoor enthusiasts.
Comfort & Features
- Modern and stylish interior with soft-touch materials on higher trims.
- Panoramic sunroof is available for an airy feel (Limited trim).
- Heated and ventilated front seats and heated steering wheel for maximum comfort (optional on some trims).
- Focuses on functionality and durability with water-resistant and stain-resistant materials.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control for personalized comfort.
- Comfortable seats with available lumbar support and heated front seats.
- Standard 8-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility.
- Available 10.25-inch touchscreen with navigation and Harman Kardon sound system.
- Advanced driver-assistance features like blind-spot monitoring and lane departure warning (standard on most trims).
- Standard 6.5-inch touchscreen with StarLink infotainment system.
- Available 8.0-inch touchscreen with navigation and Harman Kardon sound system.
- Subaru EyeSight suite of driver-assistance features comes standard across all trims, including pre-collision braking and lane departure warning.
The Kona’s modern and stylish interior with advanced tech features might win over tech-savvy drivers who prioritize a premium feel.
On the other hand, the Crosstrek’s spacious and functional cabin with durable materials and standard EyeSight safety suite will appeal to those who value practicality and peace of mind.
- Cargo space: Both cars offer decent cargo space with the rear seats up, but the Crosstrek takes the lead when seats are folded.
- Visibility: The Kona’s large windows and high seating position offer good visibility, while the Crosstrek’s higher ground clearance might compromise rear visibility for some drivers.
- Sunroof options: Both cars offer optional sunroofs, but the Kona’s panoramic sunroof provides a more expansive view.
Regarding subcompact SUVs, looks can be just as important as performance and practicality.
Design & Styling
- Bold and assertive with a split-headlight design and a sporty stance.
- The cascading front grille and sharp body lines add a dynamic feel.
- Available N Line trim offers even more aggressive styling with black accents and larger wheels.
View photos of the 2024 Hyundai Kona N Line.
- Rugged and adventurous with a classic SUV silhouette and protective cladding.
- High ground clearance and prominent roof rails emphasize its off-road capability.
- Wilderness trim amps up the adventure factor with unique wheels, all-terrain tires, and even a red accent bar on the front grille.
Dimensions & Size
- Slightly shorter and narrower than the Crosstrek.
- Slightly lower ground clearance (7.0 inches vs. 8.7 inches).
- Smaller turning radius (18.5 feet vs. 19.4 feet).
- Larger and boxier with more cargo space behind the seats.
- Higher ground clearance makes it better for tackling rough terrain.
- Slightly larger turning radius.
- Offers a wider range of vibrant colors, including Dragon Fire Red, Atlas Blue, and Lime Twist.
- More neutral options like Black Diamond and White Pearl are also available.
- Focuses on earthy tones like Horizon Blue Pearl, Magnetite Gray Metallic, and Wilderness Green Mica.
- Offers classic options like Crystal White Pearl and Black for those who prefer a more understated look.
The Kona’s bold and trendy design will appeal to drivers who want to stand out. At the same time, the Crosstrek’s rugged and practical looks will resonate with those who prioritize adventure and capability.
Ultimately, the choice comes down to your personal preference for style and intended use.
- Wheel options: Both cars offer a variety of wheel sizes and styles to customize your look further.
- Roof options: The Kona offers a panoramic sunroof, while the Crosstrek features a moonroof (with a Wilderness-specific option for removing the panels altogether).
- Aftermarket customization: Both cars have a growing aftermarket scene, allowing you to personalize your ride further.
Comparing Safety in the 2024 Hyundai Kona vs. Subaru Crosstrek
When it comes to choosing a subcompact SUV, safety should be a top priority. The 2024 Hyundai Kona and Subaru Crosstrek boast a range of features and accolades to protect you and your loved ones.
Standard and Optional Safety Features
- Standard: Forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, lane keep assist, driver attention warning, and high beam assist.
- Optional: Blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert, adaptive cruise control, parking sensors, surround-view monitor, and rear seat reminder.
- Standard: Subaru EyeSight suite, including pre-collision braking with pedestrian detection, lane departure warning, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, and sway warning with steering assist.
- Optional: Blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert, parking sensors, surround-view monitor, and driver fatigue detection.
Crash Test Ratings
Both cars have earned top accolades from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), showcasing their commitment to occupant safety.
- Hyundai Kona: Top Safety Pick (2023)
- Subaru Crosstrek: Top Safety Pick+ (2023)
- Hyundai Kona: 5-star overall rating
- Subaru Crosstrek: 5-star overall rating
Both the Kona and Crosstrek excel in safety, leaving the choice slightly subjective. The Crosstrek edges ahead with its standard EyeSight suite, which includes pedestrian detection and sway warning, while the Kona offers more optional features like a surround-view monitor and rear seat reminder.
Ultimately, both cars provide robust safety packages, so your decision should depend on your specific needs and budget.
Bonus Safety Tips:
- Always wear your seatbelts and ensure all passengers do the same.
- Use child safety seats for children and infants according to their age and weight.
- Avoid distractions while driving, such as using your phone or eating.
- Be aware of your surroundings and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles.
Final Showdown Between the 2024 Hyundai Kona and Subaru Crosstrek
Both subcompact SUVs offer compelling features and distinct personalities, making the final decision a close call. Let’s recap the key differences and strengths to help you pinpoint the perfect match:
- Bold and sporty design: The Kona is your champion if you want to turn heads with a striking exterior and dynamic driving experience.
- Advanced tech: The Kona’s larger touchscreen options and available Harman Kardon sound system keep you connected and entertained on the go.
- Fuel efficiency: While EPA figures might not be stellar, the Kona delivers real-world MPG numbers that are often more impressive than expected.
- Spacious and practical interior: With ample room for passengers and cargo, the Crosstrek is ideal for adventure seekers and growing families.
- Standard all-wheel drive and higher ground clearance: This all-terrain champion confidently tackles rough roads and snowy conditions.
- Superior safety: The Crosstrek’s standard EyeSight suite with pedestrian detection and sway warning sets it apart in the safety department.
Who should choose the Hyundai Kona?
- Trendsetters who prioritize a head-turning exterior and tech-forward features.
- City dwellers who appreciate a sporty driving experience and fuel efficiency.
- Drivers looking for a stylish and affordable subcompact SUV option.
Who should choose the Subaru Crosstrek?
- Adventure enthusiasts who need a capable vehicle for exploring the outdoors.
- Families or individuals require ample space for people and gear.
- Safety-conscious drivers who value the confidence of standard all-wheel drive and EyeSight technology.
Ultimately, the best choice depends on your individual needs and priorities. Take both cars for a test drive, feel the difference behind the wheel, and let your lifestyle guide you toward the perfect subcompact SUV companion.
Don’t forget to factor in ownership costs like insurance, maintenance, and potential resale value when making your final decision.
Let Your Voice Be Heard
Now that you’ve explored the depths of the 2024 Hyundai Kona vs. 2024 Subaru Crosstrek debate, it’s time to make your voice heard!
We’ve prepared some interactive polls and surveys to gather your valuable feedback and see which contender truly reigns supreme in your book.
The information provided in this article is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as professional mechanical advice. While the author has made every effort to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information in this article, we make no warranties or representations as to the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or suitability of the information provided.
Engineswork.com participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.