Disclosure: we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post via affiliate links to products. This doesn't make any additional cost to you.
OE brakes are OK for cruising and commuting, but when you push your car hard on twisty roads or at the track or pull a trailer with your truck over mountainous terrain, you can quickly find out they don’t provide the stopping power you need. Upgrading your brake pads can help, but for a real difference in braking, with shorter stopping distances and a consistently firm pedal with less brake fade, you need a performance brake kit.
We picked kits that consist of components engineered to work together, in sizes and materials specially designed to provide optimal braking performance for each specific application.
From a basic pad and rotor upgrade to the ultimate in braking performance – exotic floating carbon-ceramic rotors with lightweight billet aluminum multi-piston monobloc calipers – we have performance brake kits for every application and budget.
We even have brake kits for vehicles that didn’t come from the factory with disc brakes. Whether you have an older vehicle with drum brakes at all four wheels or a late model car or truck with drums in the rear, our disc brake conversion kits provide everything you need to get reliable, predictable and fade-free stopping power.
Our TOP Picks
Our Reader’s Also Shopped For
New Releases in Automotive Performance Brake Kits
- Graham, Steven (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 105 Pages - 02/27/2020 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Graham, Steven (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 02/26/2020 (Publication Date)
- INCREDIBLE BRIGHTNESS - The Redline LED Tailgate Bar has 108 LEDs that shine 35% brighter than normal chips and ensure your car can be seen even in thickest traffic, day or night.
- FLEXIBLE & DURABLE LED LIGHTS - IP67 sealed housing, well protects LED strips against rain drops, snow, dirt and sand, super durable and flexible with up to 30,000 hrs. lifespan
- NO-DRILLING REQUIRED - it comes with a tough-as-nails adhesive enhancer that increases hold strength over 5X. No need to drill, it will not fall off, included mounting hardware for more secure installation.
- MOUNTED ANYWHERE WITH 12V POWER SOURCE - 60" LED strips, rated 12V, ultra long for cargo/pickup/camper/garage/RV Awning lighting or household party decoration.
- Multiple Use - widely used in Truck Bed Light, RV Awning Light, Step Bar LED Lighting, Side Door Led Lamp, Pickup Bed Light Kit, etc. Ideal for DIY. And wide use for Jeep Pickup Truck RV SUV.
- Components are engineered to handle the increased demand of high horsepower cars and modified vehicles.
- Dust-free braking performance.
- Premium stainless steel shims provide better heat dissipation for improved stopping power with virtually no noise
- Drilled and slotted rotors keep your brakes cool even in the most extreme conditions
- Designed as a performance bolt-on upgrade for stock brakes, without sacrificing everyday drivability
- Power Stop Carbon-fiber ceramic compound significantly enhances braking performance versus traditional ceramic brake pads
- Low dust braking validated through on-vehicle 3rd party tests in Los Angeles, showing on average 30% less dust versus OE.
- Dual layer high temp rubberized shims insulate noise for virtually silent braking.
- Drilled & Slotted performance rotors for maximum cooling. They are zinc plated for maximum protection against rust.
- Brake rotor, pad & hardware engineered to work together to increase stopping power, improve durability & eliminate dust
- Custom-matched components are engineered to work together for superior braking power on your daily-driver
- Z23 Carbon-Fiber ceramic formula ensures dust-free braking performance.
- Premium rubberized shims provide virtually noise-free braking.
- Drilled & Slotted performance rotors for maximum cooling.
- Includes premium stainless steel hardware kit and ceramic brake lubricant for easy installation.
- Light Truck; SUV Or Fast Street Car Kit
- High Efficiency Sport Upgrade Kit
- Yellowstuff High Friction Pads
- Wide Aperture G3000 Slotted Rotors
- Geomet Anti Rust Coating
Most Wished For
Consider our rankings above as a suggestion. The final choice is yours. We believe that by reading this page you already know how to use this device correctly.
If you noticed a problem, please, feel free to contact us in the comment box below, at our Contact Us page or at our facebook group.
How do we do our tests?
We use the most modern approaches in the selection and evaluation of goods. Hundreds of thousands of reviews are regularly checked by our AI system and stored in the database so that you can see the most accurate and latest data.
The core components of a basic brake kit are a set of performance disc brake rotors paired with metallic or ceramic application-specific friction compound brake pads. The rotors are constructed with materials like high carbon content or high silicon content cast iron or carbon-ceramic, to dissipate heat and remain true at high temperatures, and most are drilled and/or slotted to vent heat, water, and pad gasses.
Kits are available with stock size rotors as well as with larger diameter rotors in “big brake kits”, which provide even more braking force. Installing a big brake kit may also require the fitment of larger diameter wheels and tires. Some rotors are 2-piece with lightweight aluminum center sections, and 2-piece floating rotors allow the friction surface to expand independently of the mounting area.
The next step up from a basic brake kit is a kit with brake calipers, which range from OE-type 1-piston and 2-piston calipers to lightweight, aluminum multi-piston calipers. Most of the latter type are 2-piece or billet aluminum monobloc fixed calipers with up to 8 pistons.
They’re lighter and flex much less than factory calipers, so all the hydraulic force is applied to the brake pads, and the multiple pistons and increased rigidity ensure even pressure is applied to the pads and both sides of the rotor for better braking force. Some multi-piston calipers have staggered piston sizes to prevent tapered pad wear, and some are available powder coated in your choice of colors to perfectly complement drilled and slotted rotors and custom wheels.
In addition to the above, braided stainless steel brake lines are supplied with many kits. These lines prevent the hose expansion and mushy brake pedal that can occur with ordinary rubber hoses, especially when the brake fluid gets hot. They combine with the kit’s rigid calipers to ensure all available hydraulic pressure is directed to the caliper pistons for optimal friction material application and better braking response and pedal feel.
They’re also better able to resist impacts and abrasion than rubber, with a high-performance look that provides the finishing touch on your new brake system. Last but certainly not least, each kit includes application-specific hardware and caliper mounting brackets where required, to ensure precise fitment of each brake kit component and easy installation.
Last update on 2020-02-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API