Disclosure: we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post via affiliate links to products. This doesn't make any additional cost to you.
OE brakes are OK for cruising and commuting, but when you push your car hard on twisty roads or at the track or pull a trailer with your truck over mountainous terrain, you can quickly find out they don’t provide the stopping power you need. Upgrading your brake pads can help, but for a real difference in braking, with shorter stopping distances and a consistently firm pedal with less brake fade, you need a performance brake kit.
We picked kits that consist of components engineered to work together, in sizes and materials specially designed to provide optimal braking performance for each specific application.
From a basic pad and rotor upgrade to the ultimate in braking performance – exotic floating carbon-ceramic rotors with lightweight billet aluminum multi-piston monobloc calipers – we have performance brake kits for every application and budget.
We even have brake kits for vehicles that didn’t come from the factory with disc brakes. Whether you have an older vehicle with drum brakes at all four wheels or a late model car or truck with drums in the rear, our disc brake conversion kits provide everything you need to get reliable, predictable and fade-free stopping power.
Our TOP Picks
Our Reader’s Also Shopped For
New Releases in Automotive Performance Brake Kits
- Wood, James (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 100 Pages - 05/27/2020 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
- FIT FOR: Toyota 4Runner 2003 - 2009 2WD or 4WD models with 319mm (12.5") Diameter front Rotors ONLY -
- Toyota FJ Cruiser 2007 - 2009
- Manufacturer Part Number :4351204052 4243160311
- Placement on Vehicle :Front, Rear, Left, Right
- Interchange Part Number1 :120.44129, Aimco: 31327, Raybestos: 980161, BD126090, Interchange Part Number2 :120.44175, Aimco: 31550, Raybestos: 980780, BD180391
- COMPATIBILITY: 1995 to 2015 Toyota Tacoma
- STOP WATER FROM LEAKING: Replacement and upgrade for the worn out third brake light seal gasket. made of high density, thicker and firmer foam, prevent water from leaking inside of the cab. A great solution for stopping the third brake light leaking
- SINGLE-SIDED ADHESIVE: Upgrade from double-sided adhesive gasket, our gasket is much easier for you to remove the lamp housing, and won't stick to the paint when replace burnt out bulb in future. Easy to peel off and make the light stay in place, no weather strip adhesive needed
- NOTICE: 0.2 inch (5 mm) thick foam gasket will leave about 1/8 inch gap outside between the housing edge and vehicle body after installed, but it won't affect waterproof function for protecting the inside part. Make sure you understand and accept this design before ordering
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: 2 x 3rd brake light gaskets and 1 instruction; 180 days manufacturer warranty since order purchase date. Feel free to send email if there's any issue before or after purchase. Your case will be taken seriously regardless of warranty period
- Components are engineered to handle the increased demand of high horsepower cars and modified vehicles.
- Dust-free braking performance.
- Premium stainless steel shims provide better heat dissipation for improved stopping power with virtually no noise
- Drilled and slotted rotors keep your brakes cool even in the most extreme conditions
- Designed as a performance bolt-on upgrade for stock brakes, without sacrificing everyday drivability
- Power Stop Carbon-fiber ceramic compound significantly enhances braking performance versus traditional ceramic brake pads
- Low dust braking validated through on-vehicle 3rd party tests in Los Angeles, showing on average 30% less dust versus OE.
- Dual layer high temp rubberized shims insulate noise for virtually silent braking.
- Drilled & Slotted performance rotors for maximum cooling. They are zinc plated for maximum protection against rust.
- Brake rotor, pad & hardware engineered to work together to increase stopping power, improve durability & eliminate dust
- Custom-matched components are engineered to work together for superior braking power on your daily-driver
- Z23 Carbon-Fiber ceramic formula ensures dust-free braking performance.
- Premium rubberized shims provide virtually noise-free braking.
- Drilled & Slotted performance rotors for maximum cooling.
- Includes premium stainless steel hardware kit and ceramic brake lubricant for easy installation.
- Light Truck; SUV Or Fast Street Car Kit
- High Efficiency Sport Upgrade Kit
- Yellowstuff High Friction Pads
- Wide Aperture G3000 Slotted Rotors
- Geomet Anti Rust Coating
Most Wished For
Consider our rankings above as a suggestion. The final choice is yours. We believe that by reading this page you already know how to use this device correctly.
If you noticed a problem, please, feel free to contact us in the comment box below, at our Contact Us page or at our facebook group.
How do we do our tests?
We use the most modern approaches in the selection and evaluation of goods. Hundreds of thousands of reviews are regularly checked by our AI system and stored in the database so that you can see the most accurate and latest data.
The core components of a basic brake kit are a set of performance disc brake rotors paired with metallic or ceramic application-specific friction compound brake pads. The rotors are constructed with materials like high carbon content or high silicon content cast iron or carbon-ceramic, to dissipate heat and remain true at high temperatures, and most are drilled and/or slotted to vent heat, water, and pad gasses.
Kits are available with stock size rotors as well as with larger diameter rotors in “big brake kits”, which provide even more braking force. Installing a big brake kit may also require the fitment of larger diameter wheels and tires. Some rotors are 2-piece with lightweight aluminum center sections, and 2-piece floating rotors allow the friction surface to expand independently of the mounting area.
The next step up from a basic brake kit is a kit with brake calipers, which range from OE-type 1-piston and 2-piston calipers to lightweight, aluminum multi-piston calipers. Most of the latter type are 2-piece or billet aluminum monobloc fixed calipers with up to 8 pistons.
They’re lighter and flex much less than factory calipers, so all the hydraulic force is applied to the brake pads, and the multiple pistons and increased rigidity ensure even pressure is applied to the pads and both sides of the rotor for better braking force. Some multi-piston calipers have staggered piston sizes to prevent tapered pad wear, and some are available powder coated in your choice of colors to perfectly complement drilled and slotted rotors and custom wheels.
In addition to the above, braided stainless steel brake lines are supplied with many kits. These lines prevent the hose expansion and mushy brake pedal that can occur with ordinary rubber hoses, especially when the brake fluid gets hot. They combine with the kit’s rigid calipers to ensure all available hydraulic pressure is directed to the caliper pistons for optimal friction material application and better braking response and pedal feel.
They’re also better able to resist impacts and abrasion than rubber, with a high-performance look that provides the finishing touch on your new brake system. Last but certainly not least, each kit includes application-specific hardware and caliper mounting brackets where required, to ensure precise fitment of each brake kit component and easy installation.
Last update on 2020-05-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API