- Best deep sounding mufflers
- Best Performance Mufflers
- MagnaFlow 10416 Exhaust Muffler
- CORSA 14551 Cat-Back Exhaust System for BMW E46
- Agency Power Titanium Mufflers
- APEXi WS2 Universal Muffler
- Akrapovic Titanium Slip-On Exhaust System for BMW M3
- GReddy 11001125 Revolution RS Universal Muffler
- Megan Racing MR-MU-MSPEC2 4 Universal-Fit Carbon-Fiber Muffler With Titanium Tip
- Best Stainless Steel Mufflers
- Best Glasspack Mufflers
- Best Muffler Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Disclosure: we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post via affiliate links to products. This doesn't make any additional cost to you.
Mufflers are often considered as the main tools for making your automobile sound quieter. And if it’s your main purpose, you will find a wide range of appropriate mufflers for sale. They are available in many designs and can suit any budget.
Nevertheless, mufflers can be used for some other goals as well. Thus, one may assist you in making your automobile sound different from other automobiles on the road. Many drivers, who are obsessed with tuning, want their cars to generate the right sound and mufflers may do a fantastic job for that.
Good news: there is no need to spend your time in search of the best mufflers. We have already done that job for you and we are going to share the information about what mufflers are the best for certain needs.
Clearly, the choice of the proper muffler depends on your automobile brand and type. That’s why, we will provide you with the best brands, not exact products. Additionally, we will share some tips on how to choose the most appropriate muffler for your automobile. Thus, by reading this post, you will get much useful information about mufflers and their application.
Best deep sounding mufflers
MagnaFlow 14832 Exhaust Muffler
- Package Dimensions: 15.24 cms (L) x 21.59 cms (W) x 68.58 cms (H)
- Product Type: Auto Part
- Package Quantity: 1
- Country Of Origin: United States
The Magna Flow muffler is a high-performance device, which is very enduring and reliable. It’s able to withstand almost any driving conditions. Looking pretty good, this silencer doesn’t demand any special care. Thus, you mustn’t take it slow over speed bumps.
As this muffler isn’t very long, it may leave some soot on a thick bumper. Thus, if you wish to maintain its cleanliness, feel free to seek for something longer.
This item is made of polished stainless steel. It signifies that along with being very durable, it’s also glowing. So, if you want it to shine, there is no need in buying some cheap chrome knock-off. The tip features a straight cut end, which looks very traditional. At the same time, the rolled edges add a special charm to the device.
But what about sound? A part of the muffler will reduce the sound, produced by your automobile’s motor.
This appliance doesn’t feature any chambers, S-bends or pipes. It signifies that the air flow isn’t restricted inside. The sound is only insulating material while damping. Remember that mufflers, which restrict the airflow, slow down the whole system. Consequently, the automobile’s output may suffer.
These differences are rather insignificant for the majority of drivers. However, the performance enthusiasts will be pleased to find out that usually, the muffler’s chamber free flow and big outlet on the tip don’t affect the engine’s performance.
As the tip is pretty short and keeps a big four-inch outlet, a deep throaty rumble will be produced. In combination with the muffling power of the device, you will get a deep bassy growl.
Flowmaster 953047 Super 40
- Deep Aggressive Sound Exhaust Note
- Noticeable interior resonance
- Excellent performance on high horsepower vehicles
- Race proven Delta Flow technology
- Easy Installation
The Flowmaster muffler was created specifically for high performance automobiles. It’s able to provide your motor with some extra power.
Moreover, you will like its aggressive sound. It’s equipped with licensed delta flow technology, which has already proved its excellence in races and now, is available for street legal automobiles.
This muffler is made of 16-gauge aluminized mild steel. It has passed through MIG welding for better endurance. Besides, it doesn’t have any packing material inside. It means that nothing will come out after utilizing this appliance for some time plus nothing will prevent your automobile from normal functioning.
In a nutshell, it’s a decent product, which costs around $100. Moreover, as it’s a representative of a reputable brand, you mustn’t worry about its quality as it will definitely be superb.
Thrush 17651 Welded Muffler
- AGGRESSIVE SOUND -- Two-chamber design for deep, aggressive tone
- ENGINEERED TO LAST -- 100% welded aluminized-steel construction reduces corrosion
- SLEEK FINISH -- Painted silver finish with embossed Thrush logo for improved appearance
- FLEXIBLE SOLUTION -- Customizable design offered in a variety of styles and sizes for universal fitment (may require specialized fabrication and/or welding)
- SPECS -- Available in 4-in. x 9.5-in. oval body and a variety of overall lengths; 2.25-in., 2.5-in. and 3-in. inlet/outlet sizes; see product specifications for more information
If you are looking for a muffler, you should pay attention to this Thrush product. It copes with noise reduction brilliantly.
If your automobile is pretty quiet itself, the silencer will be used for visual appeal more than for better performance or sound reduction. This muffler contains two chambers. By making the air flow through these chambers, the silencer slows it down and helps to decrease the noise. There are such speculations that such a muffler can reduce the engine’s output. It happens rarely. And even if it occurs, the vehicle loses no less than 5-10 horsepower.
The device is made of 304 stainless steel. It’s very durable and won’t be harmed by rust or dents. Basically, this muffler is a great combination of good quality and long lifespan.
Best Performance Mufflers
MagnaFlow 10416 Exhaust Muffler
- PERFORMANCE MUFFLER EXHAUST - Fully reversible and featuring a free-flowing, straight-through perforated stainless steel core, stainless mesh wraps our acoustic fiber fill to deliver a smooth, deep tone for your custom exhaust project
- MAGNAFLOW QUALITY - MagnaFlow's dedication to engineering and manufacturing the finest exhaust systems makes for a superior sound and driving experience. Constructed of premium materials and carefully designed for the best fitment and performance, you can have confidence in making the right choice for your vehicle
- PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION - Professional installation is highly recommended. May require custom fabrication, cutting and/or welding along with specific automotive knowledge
- DRIVE WITH CONFIDENCE - Established in 1981, MagnaFlow was named SEMA Manufacturer of the Year in 2017. Products are made from premium components using the latest technology and our industry-leading warranties provide peace of mind for you
- LIMITED LIFETIME CONSTRUCTION WARRANTY - Performance that lasts. Enjoy worry-free ownership knowing that you're backed by MagnaFlow’s limited lifetime construction warranty
If appearance is no less important for you than functionality, you may love this fantastic looking MagnaFlow exhaust muffler.
Having a straight pass-through design, it allows you reaching the wide open performance. Simultaneously, it will produce a deep sound, which is a peculiarity of MagnaFlow products.
As it’s an American product, this muffler ensures the best quality at absolutely reasonable price.
Additionally, we need to warn that this device can’t be used for a number of cars, which are allowed in California because of their new emission laws. However, if you manage to make it suitable for California roads, you will be pleased with its incredible sound.
CORSA 14551 Cat-Back Exhaust System for BMW E46
- Dual walled design protects against heat distortion
- Adorned with high definition, precision laser engraved CORSA logo
- CORSA Performance tip kits are designed to fit directly to CORSA exhaust systems
- Premium Stainless Steel Construction
- Clamp-On Tip Design
If you are an owner of a BMW automobile, you should know that Corsa is able to enhance not only the sound but also the performance of your car. Its products have a pleasant low rumble, which isn’t annoying.
Moreover, this brand offers some other cool products for BMW vehicles.
Agency Power Titanium Mufflers
- Titanium Muffler Exhaust System with 200 cell Cats Porsche 997 Turbo 07-09
- Products like our full titanium Porsche exhausts, Ford Focus ST intercooler, and FRS/BRZ control arms are at the front of the competition
- Agency Power manufacturers its products only after indepth product testing, racing, and quality checks are completed.
This brand is known for creating astonishing exhaust systems for all types of performance vehicles.
One of the greatest examples is their setup for the Porsche 911 Turbo.
APEXi WS2 Universal Muffler
APEXi company was established in 1992 in Japan. It’s closely related with the motorsports industry, especially in the sphere of drifting.
They frequently create products for Toyota, Honda, Subaru and other Japanese vehicles. Needless to say, the sound this device produces is amazing.
Akrapovic Titanium Slip-On Exhaust System for BMW M3
We already know that the proper exhaust system is able to make your motor sound pretty good and can provide you with some extra horsepower. However, some items can also reduce the automobile’s weight.
Thus, this titanium system, designed for BMW M3 V8 motors, provides your vehicle with a cool sound and can free your automobile from extra 31 pounds. Its major minus is that it’s rather expensive.
GReddy 11001125 Revolution RS Universal Muffler
- 140mm Round Revolution RS
- 304 Stainless-steel
GReddy is often associated with the JDM and North American races due to its support of various racing teams, including Formula Drift phenomenon Ken Gushi.
Usually, custom-car builders prefer using the whole GReddy system to suit their specific cars. However, you are free to use this universal item, which can be easily and quickly installed in your automobile.
Megan Racing MR-MU-MSPEC2 4 Universal-Fit Carbon-Fiber Muffler With Titanium Tip
- 100% sues 304 Stainless Steel
- Sound is quiet and deep tone
- Universal fitment to work with a wide arrange of vehicles
Today, carbon fiber grabs the attention of exhaust system manufacturers thanks to its ability to save weight.
However, auto manufacturers seem to be lagging as carbon fiber mufflers are already commonly applied for motorcycles. And the only company, which produces such mufflers for automobiles, is Megan Racing. But we think that the situation will change in the nearest future and the choice of carbon fiber silencers will be much wider.
Best Stainless Steel Mufflers
Borla 40358 Pro XS Best Stainless Steel Muffler
- Center/offset configured un notched vehicle muffler for your exhaust
- 19 inch overall length and oval shape
- 2.5 inch inlet / 2.5 inch outlet
- Refer to your specific vehicle and exhaust system to ensure proper fit
- 14 x 4 x 9.5 inch case size
This item will be the perfect solution for those, who seek for premium quality stainless steel mufflers. Like other Borla products, this muffler is supplied with a million mile warranty. That makes it attractive for many automobile enthusiasts as with such a guarantee, you don’t have to worry about the quality and longevity of the silencer, especially if it’s provided by a well-known brand.
However, the most important is that this muffler has an astonishing sound that will make you stand out from the rest drivers.
Good news: this muffler is available in several sizes and so, it is compatible with the majority of vehicles. Moreover, it can be used not only for domestic but also for import automobiles.
Walker Quiet-Flow Stainless Steel Muffler
- CORROSION RESISTANT STAINLESS STEEL -- The only broad-market muffler with 100% stainless-steel construction that delivers longer life versus aluminized mufflers while an internal drainage system reduces moisture collection
- EASY TO INSTALL -- Direct-fit bolt-on replacement solution with OE-style hangers, brackets and pipe routings for easy installation and doesn't require specialized fabrication and/or welding
- BUILT TO LAST -- Internal partitions and mechanically joined tubes allow expansion and contraction during temperature changes to minimize distortion while spun-locked heads and OE-style spot welds provide stability and longer service life
- PREMIUM ACOUSTIC CONTROL -- OE-style louvered tubes lower noise levels while OE-style domed heads help reduce radiated noise for premium factory-style sound quality compared to straight perforated tubes
- DESIGN VALIDATED -- Acoustic and flow tested for quality OE-style sound you can count on
While seeking for the good quality stainless steel mufflers, you will come across many brands and companies. But we offer you to pay attention to the Walker muffler.
The company assures that their mufflers, which are made of strong stainless steel, will last 3 times longer than their aluminized rivals. Moreover, they are resistant to corrosion.
Another cool feature of these mufflers is a comprehensive draining system. Thus, you become free from worries about any liquid, emerging in the muffler, no matter how it gets there.
The sound of this muffler resembles the one of a factory muffler. However, you reach the increased performance and better endurance. A great bonus: the product is provided with a 90-day guarantee and limited lifetime warranty.
Flowmaster 817633 Outlaw Muffler Kit
- Stainless Steel Construction. Muffler shape is oval
- Dyno Tuned For Maximum Performance. Heat Shield - No
- Race Proven Outlaw Muffler Technology
- Tubing diameter is 3 inches. Made in the USA
- Outlet Diameter - 2.25 inches. Muffler type - welded baffle
It’s rather an unusual automobile muffler. Due to its high price, this Flowmaster product is usually employed by professional automobile tuners. Its sound can’t be confused with nothing else and so, by acquiring such a muffler, you will get a chance to provide your vehicle with some personality.
This stainless steel item is made in the United States. It features a chambered structure, which will ensure that your motor functions efficiently due to its effective gas evacuation and excessive noise dampening.
Being equipped with metal O-rings for direct fit mount, this muffler can be installed with no troubles even if you are a beginner.
However, its major minus is the cost. In comparison with other similar products, it’s rather expensive. However, the price can be justified for a muffler of such quality, providing incredible sound.
Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet Muffler
- Designed to dampen exhaust noise
- Facilitates undisrupted exhaust flow
- Constructed from t304 stainless steel
- Features a "true straight through" perforated core
- Withstands high exhaust temperature
Keeping one of the best build constructions on the market, this straight-through muffler is made of superior quality stainless steel. Thus, it has a long lifespan and is corrosion-resistant even under the influence of engine gas and water vapor.
Keeping the standard three inches inlet and outlet, this device will be suitable for any type of a vehicle. Besides, its design ensures efficient and quick engine gas evacuation.
Consequently, you will have an extremely quiet muffler, which, in its turn, is able to increase your motor’s output.
If to talk about its sound and efficiency, this Vibrant product is one of the best offers on the market. However, the price is pretty high and it can be an obstacle for many car enthusiasts.
Dynomax 17748 Super Turbo Muffler
- PREMIUM ACOUSTIC CONTROL -- Fiberglass matting absorbs unwanted interior resonance while maintaining a mellow performance tone
- PRECISION DESIGN -- Exclusive flow director technology channels exhaust flow and reduces turbulence on most applications; dyno proven to flow up to 550 SCFM
- PREMIUM PERFORMANCE -- Large flow tubes improve exhaust flow and reduce backpressure
- ENGINEERED TO LAST -- Aluminized-steel construction reduces corrosion and internal drainage system reduces moisture collection
- FLEXIBLE SOLUTION -- Customizable design offered in a variety of styles and sizes for universal fitment (may require specialized fabrication and/or welding)
The Dynomax 17748 is often referred as the best sounding muffler. It is built of a high-grade T304 stainless steel. Thus, it’s very strong and enduring no matter what conditions it’s subjected to.
The classic 2.5 inches inlet and outlet allow installing this silencer on any automobile with no adapters needed. This item provides a signature sporty sound thanks to its high airflow of 700 SCFM.
Furthermore, this muffler features a fiberglass matting inside. It deals with absorbing vibrations and facilitating the flow of gases and water vapor. It proves the great performance of this appliance. So, if the sound really matters for you, this model needs to be considered.
Best Glasspack Mufflers
Cherry Bomb 87522 Glasspack Muffler
- 8 inch body
- Overall length: 12 inch
- Inlet: 2.5 inch
- Outlet size: 2.5 inch
- Body diameter: 3.5 inch
If you are in the search of mufflers with a cool exterior, you definitely need to have a look at Cherry Bomb products.
While the majority of mufflers go in simple metal colors, these items are red. Thus, if you love to grab attention on the road, the Cherry Bomb mufflers will assist you in that.
The company assures that the muffler features the original design, created in 1968. The straight-through styling helps to reduce the back pressure while boosting horsepower. Along with these privileges, you will get the famous deep and gentle sound of the Cherry Bomb muffler.
As the inlet and outlet sizes are classic (2.5 inches), this device can be used for any exhaust system. Some car owners may dislike that the muffler isn’t loud enough. However, in general, it’s a great variant, which is efficient and is sold at reasonable price.
Thrush 24205 Glass Pack Muffler
- Heavy gauge shell for maximum durability
- Expandable bushings for custom applications, Available stainless steel or painted
- Continuous Roving Fiberglass for powerful tone and long life, Straight through design for maximum flow and power
- Muffler Body Height: 3.5", Muffler Body Length: 26", Muffler Body Width: 3.5" , Muffler Body Material - Aluminized, Muffler Inlet Configuration - Center, Muffler Outlet Configuration:Center,Muffler Outlet Connection Type: Pipe Connection,Muffler Outlet Diameter:2.25"
- Muffler Inlet Connection Type: Pipe Connection, Muffler Inlet Diameter: 2.25", Muffler Inlet Diameter Designation: Inside Diameter , Muffler Overall Length: 31" , Muffler Shape:Round
The glass pack muffler by Thrush is sold at a very attractive price, while remaining sturdy and reliable. It keeps the heavy gauge shell for better endurance as well as the roving fiberglass filling for more powerful sound.
The muffler structure allows gases passing straight through. Simultaneously, the back pressure is reduced and the motor’s output is increased. The drivers share that the device gives much rumble, but, at the same time, it’s not too noisy. The muffler’s long design ensures that the sound isn’t hollow or harsh. One more bonus is that this product can match any automobile style as it’s available in a stainless steel as well as painted finish.
Best Muffler Buying Guide
What to Pay Attention to While Seeking for a Muffler?
Clearly, the choice of the best muffler relies on your requirements and personal preferences. As the selection is pretty wide, it’s better to know what exactly you want before making any solutions. In order to understand what muffler is the most suitable for you, try to answer the following questions. They will make your search more convenient and fast.
Q: Glasspack, Chambered or Turbo?
A: The muffler construction plays a crucial role in its performance and sound. Thus, glasspack mufflers (they are also called straight-through) prove to be the loudest. Before acquiring such an item, it’s advisable to find out about your local noise pollution laws in order to avoid any troubles. Chambered and turbo mufflers are much quieter and are suitable for any location.
Q: What kind of sound you need?
A: As we have already mentioned, the muffler design influences the way it sounds. The fans of loud and aggressive sounds will be 100% satisfied with glasspacked mufflers. Meanwhile, if you want to drive more quietly, chambered and turbo ones will be the most appropriate option. If you don’t know what’s better for you, you can read some customer reviews. Very often, people describe the sound produced by the muffler.
Q: Is it compatible with my car?
A: Clearly, you shouldn’t buy a muffler if you aren’t sure in its compatibility with your automobile. Some manufacturers provide a list of vehicles their products are compatible with. The others even provide an online tool, where you can input your vehicle’s details and find out if the device is suitable for it.
Q: What is your budget?
A: Undoubtedly, the price can be an issue for many drivers. So, it’s important to understand how much you can spend on a muffler. The prices for this device vary. However, the high price doesn’t always signify that the item is the best on the market. There are some amazing variants, which can be purchased without going bankrupt.
Q: What material is the most appropriate?
A: The steel is commonly used as a basic material because mufflers need to be enduring and able to withstand high pressure. However, it can either stainless or aluminized. Stainless steel mufflers are highly recommended if you live in a humid or cold climate as they are corrosion resistant. Aluminized mufflers aren’t able to cope with corrosion, but their major plus is the price as they are much cheaper than their stainless steel rivals.
What is the Right Size?
While seeking for a muffler, which will suit your vehicle, you should know that the majority of aftermarket mufflers are for sale for a certain period of time for a certain car model.
This happens to make sure that the device will be proper not only for the exhaust system but also for the exhaust flow running off of the motor. No car enthusiast will be happy with mounting a muffler to the exhaust system and discovering that too much backpressure has been produced.
Good news: there are some universal mufflers, which are compatible with many automobiles. Moreover, they can provide you with a number of benefits in comparison with a classic muffler and exhaust system.
However, before making use of those benefits, it’s crucial to know a pretty lot about your automobile in order to make sure that everything will function properly.
The other important thing, which must be considered before any money investments, is if your automobile keeps a single or dual exhaust system. You can discover that by having a look under your vehicle. Of course, it’s possible to change one system for the other, but it’s advisable to stick with the initial car setups.
The exhaust pipe’s diameter is one more piece of the necessary information. While installing a new muffler, it’s important that the device’s inlet pipe size matches one of the exhaust systems. Sometimes, it’s necessary that the outlet pipes are also matching.
Finally, pay attention to the zone the device will be attached to. Have a look at the size of your stock muffler casing. Additionally, you need to know where exactly it’s located, if it features some extra space and if there is a possibility that a new muffler will run into something.
Moreover, don’t think that it’s normal when the new device is located lower than the initial one. When you run on a high speed, the muffler can be easily displaced.
Aluminized vs Stainless Steel Mufflers Construction
Exhaust tips can be made either of chrome-plated aluminum or stainless steel. These types of tips differ in weight, cost and endurance.
Stainless steel tips fail to be as glowing as chrome-plated aluminum ones. However, you are free to polish them and they will both look and feel identical.
Stainless steel tips are more pricy. They are more enduring though they can add some weight to the exhaust system. The other pluses of these tips are that they are able to withstand rust as well as cope with bumps better.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do mufflers function?
A: Mufflers serve to change the sound, produced by your automobile. As a rule, they make the sound quieter. The functioning of this device depends on what design you opt for: glasspacked or chambered. However, the mufflers of both designs alleviate sound waves though in different ways.
Glasspacked mufflers are simpler than their counterparts. They feature a sound-absorbing material, which makes the sound energy disseminated while it runs through the system. Commonly, fibreglass is utilized for that purpose, but there are also mufflers with steel wool filling.
Chambered mufflers operate thanks to the process of destructive interference. When sound waves move through the system, they get bounced through strategically located tubes and chambers, which direct the waves in such a way that they cancel each other out. Consequently, the amount of sound waves, released from the system, decreases and an automobile’s sound becomes softer. Those tube sand chambers can be regulated in various ways so that you feel free to choose the sound you like more.
Q: What is the most appropriate size of the exhaust pipe for street application?
A: The ideal option is to utilize the exhaust pipe of the identical size to the one initially installed on your automobile. If you aren’t sure in what size you need, you’d better consult a mechanic or a manufacturer’s representative.
For street applications, you aim to allow the exhaust system having a flow path free from any obstructions. Thus, you will ensure that the motor gets all the oxygen required for efficient and powerful work. Wide pipes will cope with this task better. To understand what the perfect size of a pipe is, you are free to use a special table.
Q: Can a muffler be installed by non-professionals?
A: You may try to mount a muffler yourself but only if you have much experience in automobile repairs and know well how the vehicle is built. However, it concerns not all kinds of mufflers. Thus, some devices demand welding and it’s crucial that this operation is performed by professionals.
If you want to mount the muffler yourself, make all the operations in such an order:
- Jack up your automobile. Make certain that the automobile is on a level surface. Parking brake up plus wheels must be blocked.
- Take away the existing muffler. If it’s in good condition, you will face no troubles as it will be easily uninstalled by removing bolts and clamps. The situation will be more difficult if the muffler is rusted or welded. To perform this job, you will need a hacksaw.
- Mount the new device. Cover its inlet pipe with exhaust sealant and put it into place, putting the inlet pipe over the exhaust one. Utilizing the muffler clamps, secure the item in place.
- Test the matching. Switch on the motor to find out if the muffler sounds properly. It mustn’t be rattly. Additionally, inspect the item for leaks. They are usually accompanied by smoke or steam.
Basically, this job will be easier if you have someone by your side as it’s pretty hard to cope with such a serious task alone. Besides, it’s better to get some additional information about the installation at Auto-training’s guide.
Q: Is it necessary to run tailpipes after the mufflers?
A: Commonly, no problems arise while driving without a tailpipe for a short period of time. But, don’t do that on a regular basis. The thing is that a tailpipe guides the exhaust gases out of your automobile. So, by failing to have the one, you have a risk that exhaust gases will accumulate under your car and will penetrate into the cabin especially if you sit with the motor idling for a long period of time.
Q: Is it legal to remove a muffler?
A: Basically, any muffler removal is illegal. However, a few car enthusiasts are stopped by that in the aspiration to make their vehicle sound special. Note, according to the laws, all automobiles must be equipped with mufflers and if you don’t have one, you break the law. Moreover, you may annoy many people by riding without this device.
Last update on 2021-06-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API