Subaru EJ22 engine was released in 1990, and firstly placed in Impreza and Legacy models. Later, it was applicated on the Outback. During its existence, this engine has gone through many upgrades that were designed not only to increase the power but also on the efficiency and reliability.
One of the major engine modifications that the pistons were coated with molybdenum. This reduced friction, and reduced susceptibility to scuffing.
Table of contents
- 1 Subaru EJ22 engine specs
Subaru EJ22 engine specs
|Cylinder Block Material||Aluminum|
|Fuel system||Fuel injection|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Compression Ratio||9.5 (EJ22E)
|Power, hp||135/5500 (EJ22E)
|Torque, lb ft||137 (186 Nm)/4800 (EJ22E)
137 (187 Nm)/4800 (EJ22EZ)
149 (202 Nm)/3600 (EJ222/EJ223)
268 (363 Nm)/3200 (EJ22G)
|Engine weight||265 lbs (120 kg)|
|Engine oil||10W30, 10W40, 5W30 (low winter temperatures)|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.5|
|Oil change interval, mile||9,000 (15,000 km) or 12 month|
EJ22 engine modifications
- EJ22E. It was completely an atmo gasoline engine with an aluminum block. Produced from 1990 to 1996. In 1996 the engine was updated and became known as the EJ22EZ.
- EJ22T. Phase one 2.2 Liter SOHC Turbo, 163 bhp (122 kW; 165 PS) fully closed deck, oil squirters, no intercooler.
- EJ22G. Phase two 2.2-litre closed deck, based on the EJ20K STI engine. Uses identical cylinder heads and turbocharger but with a unique closed deck 2.2L crank case. The pistons are factory forged items, the connecting rods are stock. Although being closed deck, the block does not feature oil squirters for piston cooling, opposed to the EJ20 closed deck block and the USDM-only Legacy.
The engine is installed in
- Impreza 95-01;
- Legacy 90-99;
- Outback 95-96.
Subaru EJ22 engine problems and reliability
In general EJ22 is one of the most efficient and reliable engines with the lifespan of 300 000 miles. Although there have been cases where this engine runs for about 500 000 miles.
Pulling a Subaru EJ22 Turbo engine for an engine swap
Rebuilding Subaru 2.2 Engine at Sorenson Automotive Inc. Savage, MN Part 1
Subaru EJ22 Water Pump (all EJ engines)
- How many miles can a Jetta or Golf 2.0 year ’99-’00 take if normally maintained?
- How do you repair a 1990 Honda Accord speedometer that is always on the lowest speed even when driving?
- How many miles can a Pontiac T6000 go before it is done is 236K too many?
- Does the new Toyota Corolla look better in the blue grey color or the light grey?
- Which car would you buy?
- What is the world’s reliable car that can last with zero maintenance?
- Which car should I get, a 2005 Nissan Sentra S or a 2001 Toyota Camry Le?