Table of contents
BMW S52 Engine
The S52 engine — the high-performance version of the 6-cylinder engine developed on the basis of the M52 engine for the sedan, a coupe and a cabriolet of BMW M3 in E36 chassis.
The engine was intended only for North America as an alternative to 3,2-liter S50B32. The power S52B32US unit was issued from 1994 to 2000, and was made in a number of 37 790 units. Then the engine was replaced by S54B32.
BMW M3 E36 Sound
BMW S52 engine specs
|Also called||BMW S52/S52B32|
|Cylinder block alloy||Cast-iron|
4 valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||89.6 (3.53)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||86.4 (3.40)|
|Displacement||3152 cc (192.3 cu in)|
|Power output||176 kW (240 HP) at 6,000 rpm|
|Torque output||320 Nm (236 lb·ft) at 3,800 rpm|
|HP per liter||76.1|
|Weight, kg (lbs)||141 (311)|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|for E36 M3 US
|Oil consumption , L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 1.0
(1 qt. per 750 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||5.5 (5.8)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||5,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||~90 (195)|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
This engine is also installed in:
- BMW M3 E36
- BMW Z3M
Features of the BMW S52 engine
- cast iron block;
- aluminum cylinder head with four valves per cylinder;
- two-stage change VANOS variable valve timing;
- special piston rings;
- lightweight pistons;
- stronger valve springs;
- forged crankshaft;
- new exhaust system;
- increased bore and stroke, which increased a working volume by 162 cc;
- the increased compression ratio in comparison with M52;
- upgraded engine management system that can calculate 20 million operations per second;
- separate plates of a throttle valve for each cylinder;
- two-mass flywheel;
- graphite coating rods;
- larger inlet valves;
- secondary oil pump;
- additional cooling channels;
- the facilitated details of a gas distribution mechanism;
- reinforced timing chain and sprockets;
BMW S52 engine problems and malfunctions
|Coolant leaks||The reason – plastic slim body of the thermostat.|
|Overheating||Fluid entering the cylinders when the engine is overheated: the cause – increased channel for the antifreeze in the cylinder head.|
|Burnout pistons||Cause of the problem – high speed and voracity of the oil.|
|Faulty / frozen membrane||Perhaps the valve of ventilation of crankcase fumes|
|High level of motor oil consumption||The reason is covered in an excessive pressure or, the piston rings wears out.|
All of the M52 / S52 BMW engine series have plastic slim body thermostat. Over time, under temperature it causes leakage of the coolant. Increased channels for coolant in the head increases the likelihood of liquid into the cylinders when the engine overheats. Increased oil consumption may lead to trouble with the engine at high loads. At high speeds and
Increased oil consumption may lead to trouble with the engine at high loads. At high speeds and oil gluttony occurs burnout pistons. The outlet valve burn through less. The valve of ventilation crankcase
The valve of ventilation crankcase gases create problems with faulty or frozen membrane. Wink failure increased oil consumption or extruded gaskets (seals) from overpressure. Double VANOS change after 200 thousand
Double VANOSshould be changed after every 200 thousand kilometers of run. Air leakage through the intake manifold and changing the lambda probe – one of the business cards of the motor.
Air leakage through the intake manifold and changing the lambda probe – one of the business cards of the motor.
Write comments if you want to learn more about S52 engine swap and tuning!
George’s S52 Swapped E30
BMW S52 engine swap into E30 318is
BMW E30 S52 Engine Swap
- How many miles can a Jetta or Golf 2.0 year ’99-’00 take if normally maintained?
- How do you repair a 1990 Honda Accord speedometer that is always on the lowest speed even when driving?
- How many miles can a Pontiac T6000 go before it is done is 236K too many?
- Does the new Toyota Corolla look better in the blue grey color or the light grey?
- Which car would you buy?
- What is the world’s reliable car that can last with zero maintenance?
- Which car should I get, a 2005 Nissan Sentra S or a 2001 Toyota Camry Le?