Table of contents
BMW S54 Engine
BMW S54 Engine – much more productive and high-revving engine in comparison to BMW S52 engine.
The S54 engine is based on a cast iron base. The cylinder head is cast from an aluminum alloy, but a little lighter than on the M54 series.
Engine’s chain is double and has rollers. The Dual Variable Valve Timing system called Double VANOS timing on intake and exhaust camshafts began to work in a wider range, which affected the more precise responsiveness of the engine at different operating conditions.
The crankshaft is made of forged steel, has 12 balances and supported the family bearings.
BMW S54 motor was the best engine in the International competition of power units in 2001 year, “from 3.0 to 4.0 liters” category, and each year until 2006 was considered as the best in this category. In 2001, it also joined the list of “10 Best Engines Ward” and was there until the end of 2004. To replace this motor the S55 engine has been designed.
BMW S54B32 engine
S54B32EU – the 343-strong version designed for European spec cars. The engine is installed in:
- BMW M3 E46 Coupe
- BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
- BMW E86 Z4 M Coupe
- BMW E85 Z4 M Roadster
- BMW M3 CS E46
- BMW M3 E46 — 30 Years of BMW M
- BMW M3 Competition Package E46
- BMW M3 Silverstone Edition E46
- BMW Wiesmann Roadster MF3
The less powerful 333-strong version S54B32US was intended for American cars (M3 E46 and Z4 M Coupe / Roadster) and had some changes (such as a dual catalytic converter closer to the engine).
These measures have been taken to comply with CO2 emissions standards in the US, and that affected the power of the motor parameters.
BMW S54B32HP engine
Streamlined, lightweight S54 engine, mounted only on the M3 CSL E46 and officially designated – S54B32HP. Its peculiarity lies in the air intake of carbon fiber, modified camshafts, lightweight exhaust manifold (intake and exhaust manifolds slightly improved engine performance), the DME control system and more efficient air intake system, which is supplied mainly from the round hole on the front bumper. In addition to this, the vehicle is equipped with lightweight exhaust system made of thin steel.
In addition to this, the vehicle is equipped with the lightweight exhaust system made of thin steel.
BMW S54 engine specs
BMW S54 engine problems
- High oil consumption. Reason – problem with valve stem seals or with piston rings (in case if consumption is too high)
- Overheating. Reason: cooling system has air, OR problem is in dirty radiator OR radiator cap and thermostat.
BMW S54 supercharger
Instead of difficult manipulations you can just buy an ESS supercharger kit (or VF) and get a lot of power. These sets are quite reliable and install on S54 stock internals. The maximum boost VT1 – 6 psi (0.4 bar) you do not even need forged pistons. It will easily provide 470 horsepower. With the help of a supercharger S54 you can get up to 600 horsepower and that’s enough for any driver.
Make S54 turbo or twin turbo isn’t too favorable, it is quite expensive and easier to buy a faster Nissan GTR.
BMW E30 M3 with fully tuned S54 engine
BMW E30 Coupe w/ E46 M3 Engine Swap – One Take
BMW E46 rallycar S54 stroker engine with 470hp KMS MD35 ecu
- How many miles can a Jetta or Golf 2.0 year ’99-’00 take if normally maintained?
- How do you repair a 1990 Honda Accord speedometer that is always on the lowest speed even when driving?
- How many miles can a Pontiac T6000 go before it is done is 236K too many?
- Does the new Toyota Corolla look better in the blue grey color or the light grey?
- Which car would you buy?
- What is the world’s reliable car that can last with zero maintenance?
- Which car should I get, a 2005 Nissan Sentra S or a 2001 Toyota Camry Le?