Table of contents
BMW M50B20 Engine
BMW M50 engine – six-cylinder piston engine with two overhead camshafts, which was submitted in January 1989 on 5-Series E34, and thus replacing the previously installed 2-valve M20. A little later, this engine was installed on the BMW 3 series E36 (sedan, touring, coupe, convertible and Baur). BMW M50 engine is available in two versions, with a volume of 2.0 and 2.5 liters and produced in the Steyr factory. Until 1996, all 943,795 engines were produced.
M50B20 / M50TUB20 Specs
|Also called||BMW M50|
|Cylinder block alloy||Cast iron|
4 valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||66 (2.6)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||80 (3.15)|
|Displacement||1991 cc (121.5 cu in)|
|Power output||110 kW (150 HP) at 6,000 rpm
110 kW (150 HP) at 5,900 rpm (TU)
|Torque output||190 Nm (140 lb·ft) at 4,700 rpm
190 Nm (140 lb·ft) at 4,200 rpm (TU)
|HP per liter||75.3|
|ECU||Bosch Motronic 3.1
Siemens MS40.1 (TU)
|Weight, kg (lbs)||–|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|for E36 320i
|Oil consumption , L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 1.0
(1 qt. per 750 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||5.75 (6.0)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)|| 7,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||~90 (194)|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
This engine is installed in:
M50B20 engine problems
BMW M50 engine is considered to be one of the most reliable engines of BMW. Listed below are the possible malfunction of the engine, but it is necessary to take into account the proper engine maintenance, because with proper maintenance, the engine will show itself in a good way:
- Overheating: advice – check the radiator, pump, thermostat, the presence of air pockets in the cooling system and radiator cap;
- Working with faults: recheck ignition coils, spark plugs and injectors;
- Floating rpm: possible causes of failure – the failure of the valve or idle throttle position sensor;
- Coolant leak – cracked expansion tank;
- Failure of individual ignition coils;
- Burning of power ignition control keys;
- Oil leaking at the junction of the oil filter bowl, valve cover gasket, front cover and tray;
- Lack of the fuel supply;
The BMW M50 engine was replaced by the BMW M52.
E36 m50b20 engine sound
BMW E34 M50B20 Turbo TD04hl-13t First start engine
- En.wikipedia.org. (2017). BMW M50. [online] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M50.
- Volkswagen Touareg wheel and tire sizes
- Should my new tires match what is currently on my car from the factory?
- What is the difference between a 235/45 ZR17 tire, and a 235/45 R17 tires?
- What does 195/65 HR14 mean in relation to tyres?
- What rims will fit my car?
- Good reliable first cars?
- What class are BMW cars?