The BMW M44 is a 4-cylinder engine, which replaced the M42 engine and was produced from 1995 to 2001 at Steyr. This power unit has taken a leading position in the program of four-cylinder engines of BMW and compared to the M42, M44 has been made on the set of structural changes in the engine and the control system and the exhaust system.
M44 is a powerful engine with high torque created on the basis of the M42 engine. It’s concept is so that allowed the engine to comply with all legal requirements to limit the toxicity of exhaust gases and the requirement to limit the noise level at the time of its production.
Table of contents
BMW M44B19 engine specs
|Also called||BMW M44|
|Cylinder block alloy||Cast iron|
4 valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||83.5 (3.29)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||85 (3.35)|
|Displacement||1895 cc (115.6 cu in)|
|Power output||103 kW (140 HP) at 6,000 rpm|
|Torque output||180 Nm (133 lb·ft) at 4,300 rpm|
|HP per liter||73.9|
|Fuel system||Bosch Motronic 5.2|
|Weight, kg (lbs)||–|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|for E36 318is
|Oil consumption , L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 1.0
(1 qt. per 750 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||5.0 (5.3)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||7,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||90-95 (195-203)|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
BMW M44 engine features
- 4-cylinder with four valves per cylinder
- Displacement of 1.9 liters
- Improved performance of torque
- The new head of the cylinder
- Contactless ignition system
- Spark plug electrodes with a dual mass
- Intake manifold with variable length intake tract (DISA)
- Two-step throttle
- Dual mass flywheel
- New digital engine electronics DME control 5.2
The engine is installed in
- BMW E36 318ti
- BMW E36 318is
- BMW Z3 1.9
BMW M44 engine problems
M44 is equal to M42, but the problems with timing are much less common. A common problem of cold start (often at temperatures below -10 ° C) associated with the loss of compression due to the occurrence of compression rings.
With time M44 was replaced by N42 engine.
BMW E36 318i M42 M44 Engine Timing Complete Procedure
BMW M44 Engine Build
1996 BMW Z3 1.9L M44 engine sound
- How many miles can a Jetta or Golf 2.0 year ’99-’00 take if normally maintained?
- How do you repair a 1990 Honda Accord speedometer that is always on the lowest speed even when driving?
- How many miles can a Pontiac T6000 go before it is done is 236K too many?
- Does the new Toyota Corolla look better in the blue grey color or the light grey?
- Which car would you buy?
- What is the world’s reliable car that can last with zero maintenance?
- Which car should I get, a 2005 Nissan Sentra S or a 2001 Toyota Camry Le?